1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a little help with this {f_n} converging to f(x) proof

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that [tex]f_n \stackrel{P}{\rightarrow} f[/tex] on [tex]S[/tex]. Given [tex]\epsilon >0[/tex] define [tex]E_{\epsilon,n}=\{x\in S \mid |f_n(x)-f(x)|<\epsilon\}.[/tex]
    Prove that [tex]\forall \epsilon >0[/tex] [tex]\cup_{n=1}^\infty E_{\epsilon,n}=S[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

Know about measurability, pointwise convergence etc.

3. The attempt at a solution

I came up with this proof, but I'm not entirely sure it's right. It's also not very formalized..but besides that it almost seems like it's missing something:

Assume {f_n} -> f pointwise on S, and given epsilon>0 define E as above. Note that E = [tex] \bigcap_{n=1}^\infty \{x \mid |f_n(x) - f(x)| < \epsilon\}.[/tex]
    Since each f_n is measurable and f_n -> f pointwise, then we know f_n-f is measurable for all n in N, and so [tex] \{x \mid f_n(x) - f(x)| < \epsilon\} [/tex] is measurable for all n in N, thus E_{n,\epsilon} is a countable intersection of measurable sets and therefore measurable.
    Note that E_{n,epsilon} is contained in E_{n+1,epsilon} for all n in N. Note also that since f_n -> f pointwise for all x in S, f_n(x) -> f(x) as n->\infty. So for all x in S there exists a k in N such that whenever N\geq k |f_N(x) - f(x)| < \epsilon. Hence for all x in S, x is in E_{n,\epsilon} for some n in N. Thus [tex] \bigcup_{n=1}^\infty E_{n, \epsilon} = S,[/tex] as desired.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2011 #2
    Imo this is a bad question. There is nothing to prove just write down the definition of pointwise convergence.

let x be an element of x. By Assumption for all ε>0 there exists M s.t. if n>M |fn(x) - f(x)| <ε. Hence x is an element of En for some n.

4. Nov 21, 2011 #3
    Yeah, it seemed suspiciously straight-forward to me too. I guess I was wondering if there was any discrepancy between the 'given epsilon > 0' and having to prove 'for all epsilon > 0.' Is this the same thing?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook