Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a rigid insulation material?

1. May 26, 2012 #1
    Need a rigid insulation material???

I have a project that requires insulation sheets that are rigid and difficult to compress, about 1/8" thick. I was thinking about some type of ceramic material but can't find anything in that thickness. I'm not looking for some type of exotic material, just something I can get from grainger or mcmaster.

I was looking at using this polyimide material but not sure how compressive it would be.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2012 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Re: Need a rigid insulation material???

ordinary teflon sheets are commonly available, fairly rigid, good electrical insulators, and dense enough to resist physical compression.

4. May 26, 2012 #3

Bobbywhy's idea is good if you are looking for electrical insulation.

But if you are looking for thermal insulation you have two good choices. Both the choices are basically the same, but from two different products sold by two different sources. One is to use foam core material sold though marine suppliers for boat building. The other is to find a large refrigeration contractor, one that would take a contract to insulate a warehouse for refrigeration. They use many different types of sheet foam. You would be looking for the variety they put on the floors that the forklifts drive over.

5. May 26, 2012 #4

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Pkruse, Thank you for your comments. Too bad I assumed the OP was looking for "ELECTRICAL" insulation sheets. Now, it seems you are guessing the OP was looking for "THERMAL" insulation sheets.

Topher925, will you please be specific? Exactly what kind of insulation are you seeking?

Cheers,
    Bobbywhy

6. May 27, 2012 #5

Whoops. Yes I was referring to thermal insulation, not electrical. I like the PTFE idea, I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook