Need a rigid insulation material?

In summary, the conversation discusses different options for finding a rigid insulation material that is about 1/8" thick. Suggestions include using foam core material from marine suppliers or sheet foam from a refrigeration contractor for thermal insulation. The idea of using PTFE sheets is also mentioned as a good option for electrical insulation. It is clarified that the OP is looking for thermal insulation, not electrical.
Topher925
Need a rigid insulation material?

I have a project that requires insulation sheets that are rigid and difficult to compress, about 1/8" thick. I was thinking about some type of ceramic material but can't find anything in that thickness. I'm not looking for some type of exotic material, just something I can get from grainger or mcmaster.

I was looking at using this polyimide material but not sure how compressive it would be.

Engineering news on Phys.org

ordinary teflon sheets are commonly available, fairly rigid, good electrical insulators, and dense enough to resist physical compression.

Bobbywhy's idea is good if you are looking for electrical insulation.

But if you are looking for thermal insulation you have two good choices. Both the choices are basically the same, but from two different products sold by two different sources. One is to use foam core material sold though marine suppliers for boat building. The other is to find a large refrigeration contractor, one that would take a contract to insulate a warehouse for refrigeration. They use many different types of sheet foam. You would be looking for the variety they put on the floors that the forklifts drive over.

Pkruse, Thank you for your comments. Too bad I assumed the OP was looking for "ELECTRICAL" insulation sheets. Now, it seems you are guessing the OP was looking for "THERMAL" insulation sheets.

Topher925, will you please be specific? Exactly what kind of insulation are you seeking?

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Bobbywhy said:
Pkruse, Thank you for your comments. Too bad I assumed the OP was looking for "ELECTRICAL" insulation sheets. Now, it seems you are guessing the OP was looking for "THERMAL" insulation sheets.

Topher925, will you please be specific? Exactly what kind of insulation are you seeking?

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Whoops. Yes I was referring to thermal insulation, not electrical. I like the PTFE idea, I don't know why I didn't think of that.

1. What is a rigid insulation material?

A rigid insulation material is a type of insulation that is made from a solid, dense material such as foam, fiberglass, or mineral wool. It is used to provide thermal resistance and reduce heat transfer in buildings and other structures.

2. What are the benefits of using a rigid insulation material?

Rigid insulation materials offer several benefits, including improved energy efficiency, better temperature control, and reduced noise levels. They are also durable, fire-resistant, and resistant to moisture and mold growth.

3. How is a rigid insulation material installed?

Rigid insulation materials can be installed in several ways, including being cut to fit and placed between studs, attached to walls with adhesive or mechanical fasteners, or installed as a continuous layer on the exterior of a building. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper installation.

4. Is a rigid insulation material environmentally friendly?

Some rigid insulation materials, such as foam made from recycled materials, can be considered environmentally friendly. However, others may contain chemicals that can be harmful to the environment. It is important to research and choose a rigid insulation material that meets your environmental standards.

5. Can a rigid insulation material be used in all types of structures?

Rigid insulation materials can be used in a variety of structures, including residential and commercial buildings, as well as in industrial and agricultural settings. However, the type and thickness of insulation needed may vary depending on the specific structure and climate conditions.