Need an explanation of shells in layman's terms

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of shells in atomic physics and how they are related to quantum states indexed by quantum numbers. The speaker is struggling to understand the material due to a lack of knowledge in chemistry and is seeking help through Skype to better comprehend the subject. The concept of shells is explained in layman's terms as a way to describe the different quantum states an electron can occupy within an atom.
Woopy
We just did atomic physics in class, and my teacher assumed everyone had already taken chemistry so she really skimmed through the material, and I have yet to take chemistry so I am beyond lost with this chapter. I read the chapter and it is so technically written that I don't comprehend it well. I was wondering if anyone out there could answer a few of my questions via skype and answer some stuff in layman's terms so that I can actually start doing the homework. Thank you

please PM if you can do this

Physics news on Phys.org
By "shells," your teacher means quantum states that are indexed by quantum numbers. In layman's terms, the shell is described by a principal quantum number n which corresponds to the mean radial distance of the electron from the nucleus.

Within a shell there are subshells that describe other characteristics of the electrons quantum state including: angular momentum (indexed by l), how the angular momentum changes in the presence of an externally applied magnetic field (indexed by m), and the spin orientation of the electron (indexed by s).

So when you hear the term "shell"... just think that an atom has a finite number of quantum states which an electron can occupy... and the "shells" roughly describe the mean radial expanse of a particular set of states.

1. What is a shell in simple terms?

A shell is a program that acts as an interface between a user and the computer's operating system. It allows you to interact with the computer by typing commands and receiving responses.

2. How does a shell work?

A shell works by taking in user input in the form of commands and passing them to the operating system. The operating system then executes those commands and returns the output to the user through the shell.

3. What is the purpose of using a shell?

The purpose of using a shell is to make it easier for users to interact with the computer. Instead of having to navigate through multiple menus and options, users can simply type in commands to perform various tasks.

4. What are some common commands used in a shell?

Some common commands used in a shell include changing directories, creating or deleting files, listing files and directories, and running programs or scripts.

5. Are all shells the same?

No, there are different types of shells with varying features and functionalities. Some popular shells include Bash, PowerShell, and zsh. The choice of which shell to use depends on personal preferences and the operating system being used.