Need explanation on Laplace Transform and Fourier Transform

In summary: Laplace transform allows us to view the system in the frequency domain which makes analysis and design easier. In summary, the Laplace Transform and Fourier Transform are mathematical tools used in engineering to analyze signals and systems in the frequency domain. The Fourier Transform breaks down a signal into its individual frequency components, while the Laplace Transform allows for the use of complex frequencies and has applications in solving differential equations. Both transforms have various uses in engineering for signal processing and system analysis.
hilman
Hello guys. I need an easy explanation regarding Laplace Transform and Fourier Transform. I know it is quite a mathematics question but I need an explanation in which it has something to do with engineering. I already search a bit about them but still cannot find and explanation that easy enough to be understood (like analogue and others). And also, I want to know besides s=jw (in which a Laplace Transform becomes a Fourier Transform), what kind relationship these two have?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what kind of answer you want. The Fourier transform expresses a function as a linear combination of the complex exponentials of the form [itex]e^{ikx}[/itex] or [itex]e^{i \omega t}[/itex]. These functions are linearly independent functions that span an infinite dimensional linear (or, vector) space. The Fourier coefficients are the components of the function in this basis.

The Laplace transform enlarges the function space by allowing the k or [itex]\omega[/itex] to be complex numbers and does not restrict them to reals.

This probably is not the answer you want. But it is an accurate description of the math content, and any "engineering interpretation" can only alter the interpretation by assigning well defined physical correspondents to the basis elements. For example, you might interpret [itex]e^{i\omega t}[/itex] as a particular type of signal, and the function f(t) as some composite signal of these basic signals.

I have the feeling you are asking "what are Laplace transforms used for in engineering", correct?

Chet

hilman said:
Hello guys. I need an easy explanation regarding Laplace Transform and Fourier Transform. I know it is quite a mathematics question but I need an explanation in which it has something to do with engineering. I already search a bit about them but still cannot find and explanation that easy enough to be understood (like analogue and others). And also, I want to know besides s=jw (in which a Laplace Transform becomes a Fourier Transform), what kind relationship these two have?

Thanks.

essentially the laplace and Fourier transform allow you to see the frequency components of a signal.

This is useful for both the design of system, and the analysis of real systems with noise.
Think of a radio. if you want to receive one frequency, but block all others, you first need to extract that frequency data. to do that digitally, you would take the Fourier transform.

The frequency domain is used A LOT in engineering

Likes FactChecker
The Fourier transform transforms a function of time to a function of frequency. Any given signal can be viewed as the sum of its spectral components. That is, a signal can be viewed as the sum of sines and cosines of various amplitudes and frequencies.

The Laplace transform transforms a function of time to a function of s (s = complex frequency). To really understand the Laplace transform, you need to understand the complex frequency s. Get familiar with the concept plane and the idea of voltage or current sources that are exponentially damped sinusoids.

You guys neglected to mention the important use of Laplace Transforms to solve ordinary- and partial differential equations, both single equations and sets of equations.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
You guys neglected to mention the important use of Laplace Transforms to solve ordinary- and partial differential equations, both single equations and sets of equations.

Chet
good point. specifically it allows you to solve them with algebra instead of calculus!

1. What is the difference between Laplace Transform and Fourier Transform?

The Laplace Transform and Fourier Transform are both mathematical tools used to analyze and transform functions, but they have different applications. The Laplace Transform is primarily used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations, while the Fourier Transform is used in signal processing and mathematics to decompose a function into its frequency components.

2. How are Laplace Transform and Fourier Transform related?

The Laplace Transform is actually an extension of the Fourier Transform. The Laplace Transform uses complex numbers and has a wider range of applicability, while the Fourier Transform deals only with real numbers. The Fourier Transform can be derived from the Laplace Transform by setting the complex variable to zero.

3. What is the purpose of using Laplace Transform and Fourier Transform?

The Laplace Transform and Fourier Transform are both used to simplify complex functions and make them easier to analyze. They allow for a function to be broken down into simpler components, making it easier to understand and solve problems related to the function.

4. How are Laplace Transform and Fourier Transform calculated?

The Laplace Transform is calculated by integrating a function with respect to a complex variable. The Fourier Transform is calculated by decomposing a function into its frequency components using a complex exponential function. Both transforms can also be calculated using tables or computer software.

5. What are some real-world applications of Laplace Transform and Fourier Transform?

The Laplace Transform has many applications in engineering and physics, such as in circuit analysis, control systems, and heat transfer. The Fourier Transform is used in signal processing for tasks such as filtering, compression, and spectral analysis. It also has applications in image processing, data analysis, and solving differential equations.