Need help combining various equations for a single problem

• Thread starter ZPoston
  • Start date
In summary, a helicopter is ascending vertically at a speed of 5.20 m/s and a package is dropped from a height of 125 m above the Earth. The equation g = 9.80 m/s2 can be used to determine the time it takes for the package to reach the ground.
ZPoston

Homework Statement

A helicopter is ascending vertically with the speed of 5.20 m/s. At a height of 125 m above the Earth , a package is dropped from a window. How much time does it take for the package to reach the ground.
I am brand new to physics , but to me it seems like there is not enough info here . I know that there probably is I just don't know where to start.

Homework Equations

g= 9.80 m/s2

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi ZPoston! Welcome to PF! :wink:
ZPoston said:
… it seems like there is not enough info here . I know that there probably is I just don't know where to start.

You have the initial speed, the acceleration, and the distance …

so use one of the standard constant acceleration equations :smile:

1. How do I know which equations to combine for a specific problem?

The first step is to identify the variables and quantities involved in the problem. Then, look for equations that contain those variables and see if they can be manipulated to solve for the desired quantity. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or create a table to organize the information.

2. Can I combine equations from different areas or disciplines of science?

Yes, as long as the equations are based on the same fundamental principles and units. For example, you can combine equations from physics and chemistry as both use the same fundamental units of measurement such as mass, length, and time.

3. What is the best way to combine equations?

The best way to combine equations is to rearrange them so that the desired variable is on one side of the equation and all other variables are on the other side. Then, substitute the rearranged equations into each other to eliminate any repeating variables. Finally, solve for the desired variable.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when combining equations?

One common mistake is to substitute the wrong values or variables into the equations. Make sure to double-check that the units and variables are consistent throughout the equations. Another mistake is to forget to account for any negative signs or exponents when rearranging the equations.

5. Can I use more than two equations to solve a problem?

Yes, you can use as many equations as needed as long as they have the same variables and are based on the same fundamental principles. However, using too many equations may make the problem more complex and difficult to solve. It is important to use the most efficient and effective combination of equations.