Deriving Formula for Concentration of Hydronium at Equivalence Point?

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the concentration of hydronium in a solution of a weak base and is trying to use an approximated formula.
eventob

Homework Statement

This is a part of the lab report for a practical I did last week. I need to derive the following formula for the concentration of hydronium at the equivilance point of a strong base weak acid titration (acetic acid with sodium hydroxide).

Homework Equations

M=V/c

Formula for acid constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution is attached (the last portion of the attached image, after the text). Not sure how to move on from this, to get to the expression with the radical sign and Kw (product of the acid and base constants).

[PLAIN]https://files.itslearning.com/data/his/46492/1.png

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No idea what you are doing here. At the equivalence point you just have a solution of a salt of a weak acid - that's equivalent to the solution of a conjugate base...

I am asked to derive the formula at the top of the picture, for the concentration of hydronium. Thought that the equivalence point was the point where number of moles of CH3COOH was equal to the number of moles og NaOH, so I tried to derive the formula from that equiality. :)

Could I write:

expression for Ka*expression for Kb=Kw, and derive the formula from this?

Thanks.

Thank you.

Tried to use the approximated formula now, and here is what I got. Think I got it right so far, but how should I proceed to solve it in terms of [H3O+]? Tried to multiply both sides with [H3O+]/[OH-], but I don't think that's right.

[PLAIN]https://files.itslearning.com/data/his/46492/2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can assume [HA] is so low Cb has not changed. Scroll down to the bottom of the page I linked to.

You can use LaTeX to post formulas:

[noparse][tex]K_b = \frac {[OH]^2} {C_b-[HA]} [/tex][/noparse]

gives

[tex]K_b = \frac {[OH]^2} {C_b-[HA]} [/tex]

Thank you very much. Solved it now. :)

Didn't know that this forum supported TEX/LaTEX, much more convenient than my copy/paste method i guess.

What is the process for deriving a formula?

The process for deriving a formula involves identifying the variables and their relationships in the given problem, using mathematical principles and logic to manipulate the variables, and simplifying the equation to its final form.

Can a formula be derived for any problem?

Yes, a formula can be derived for any problem as long as the variables and their relationships are clearly defined and understood.

How can I check if my derived formula is correct?

You can check if your derived formula is correct by plugging in different values for the variables and seeing if the resulting output matches the expected outcome. You can also use mathematical software or consult with other experts in the field.

Are there any shortcuts or tips for deriving a formula?

Some tips for deriving a formula include breaking down the problem into smaller, manageable parts, using algebraic properties to simplify the equation, and double-checking your work for any errors.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when deriving a formula?

Some common mistakes to avoid when deriving a formula include incorrect use of algebraic properties, not considering all possible variables and their relationships, and making calculation errors.