Need Help finding an equation for drum sound

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework assignment to create and explain the physics behind a musical instrument, specifically a drum. The student is struggling to find a formula that governs how the drum produces notes, and has been searching for an hour with no luck. Suggestions for search terms and resources are given, and the student mentions having a time limit of 4 hours to finish 15 questions. The conversation ends with the student expressing gratitude for the tips and mentioning that they are in 11th grade and have not yet learned calculus.
Keeez

Homework Statement

Assignment to create and explain the physics behind a musical instrument, I am doing a drum. I need to find a formula that governs how it produces notes, and can't find one (been searching for atleast an hour now with no luck). Any help would be much appreciated!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
A whole hour! Wow!

Search some more under headings like "drumhead vibrations", "vibration of a circular membrane," and perhaps "tympani".

It is when its spent looking for an answer for 2 of the required questions and you have 4 hours to finish all 15. Thanks for the tips though.

Keeez said:
It is when its spent looking for an answer for 2 of the required questions and you have 4 hours to finish all 15. Thanks for the tips though.

Wow. Must be a pretty difficult take-home final. 4 hours for 15 questions. Um, or did you wait until the last minute to start the assignment? Whatever, welcome to the PF anyway.

Another search term (or look in your text) is "standing wave".

Last moment for a worksheet we had to hand in, need much more detail in a presentation to go with the actual drum. I found one equation last night but don't understand it (in 11th grade, don't learn calaculus until next year). I'll try to find something better with that, thanks!

1. What is an equation for drum sound?

An equation for drum sound can be described as a mathematical representation of the physical properties of a drum, including the size, shape, and material of the drum as well as the force and velocity of the drum stick or mallet hitting the drum.

2. How do I find an equation for drum sound?

To find an equation for drum sound, you will need to gather data on the physical properties of the drum and the force and velocity of the drum stick or mallet hitting the drum. This data can then be used to create a mathematical model that represents the relationship between these variables.

3. What factors affect the sound of a drum?

The factors that affect the sound of a drum include the size, shape, and material of the drum, as well as the tension of the drum head and the force and velocity of the drum stick or mallet hitting the drum.

4. Can an equation accurately represent the sound of a drum?

While an equation can provide a mathematical representation of the sound of a drum, it may not be able to fully capture the intricacies and nuances of the sound. Other factors such as the acoustics of the room and the skill of the drummer can also affect the sound of a drum.

5. How can I use an equation for drum sound in my research/study?

An equation for drum sound can be used in research and studies to better understand the physics and acoustics of drumming and to make predictions about the sound of different drums under varying conditions. It can also be used to design and create drums with specific sound qualities.