Need help finding general solution of an initial value problem

In summary, to find the particular solution for the differential equation y'' + 4y' + 4y = (3 + x)e-x with initial conditions y(0) = 2 and y'(0) = 5, you need to use the form (A+Bx)e^{-x} and solve for A and B by substituting it into the equation and using the initial conditions. This particular solution, when added to the fundamental solutions, will give you the general solution to the equation.
maxfails
The equation is

y'' + 4y' + 4y = (3 + x)e-x

and initial conditions y(0) = 2, y'(0)=5so from the associated homogenous equation
I think the fundamental set of solutions is {e^-2x, xe^-2x} and so yc would be

Yc = c1e-2x + c2xe-2x

but now I don't know how to get Yp, particular solution or what form they are.

Do I need to expand the (3 + x)e-x, and then solve for 2 different particular solutions?

so solve for a Yp when y'' + 4y' + 4y = 3e-x as well as
y'' + 4y' + 4y = xe-x, or do I only need to solve for 1 Yp?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to have something other than just your [itex]Y_c[/itex]

If you think about your vector spaces and your matrices and you remember the fact that the general solution contains linear combinations of the vectors of the nullspace?
Same thing here, your [itex]Y_c[/itex] is the nullspace part.

Now, just from looking at that equation, the solutions that aren't going to be in the nullspace are going to be of the form [itex]x\ e^{-x}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-x}[/itex] since the function of x on the right hand side contains only these terms, there aren't any e's with powers of +- 2x there.

If I was doing things, I'd plug in the terms I suggested and then add them to the nullspace terms and play about with the coefficients of the those terms to get the initial conditions.

Since you already have [itex]e^{-x}[/itex] and [itex]xe^{-x}[/itex] as solutions to the homeneous equation, look for a particular solution of the form [itex](Ax^2+ Bx^3)e^{-x}[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
Since you already have [itex]e^{-x}[/itex] and [itex]xe^{-x}[/itex] as solutions to the homeneous equation, look for a particular solution of the form [itex](Ax^2+ Bx^3)e^{-x}[/itex].

Hate to catch you on this, HoI, but not quite. His homogenous solution is [itex]c_1 e^{-2x} + c_2 x e^{-2x}[/itex]. His particular solution needs to be of the form [itex](A+Bx)e^{-x}[/itex].

Thanks, I completely mis-read!

Char. Limit said:
Hate to catch you on this, HoI, but not quite. His homogenous solution is [itex]c_1 e^{-2x} + c_2 x e^{-2x}[/itex]. His particular solution needs to be of the form [itex](A+Bx)e^{-x}[/itex].

So do I only need just one particular solution to find the general one?

maxfails said:
So do I only need just one particular solution to find the general one?

Yes, you only need one particular solution. Then when you add it to your fundamental solutions, you have all solutions. Then use your initial conditions to find the one that fits.

Is the form of the Yp supposed to come from the fundamental set of solutions or from the right side of the equation, the (3 + x)e-x ?

maxfails said:
Is the form of the Yp supposed to come from the fundamental set of solutions or from the right side of the equation, the (3 + x)e-x ?

You find the particular solution by substituting [itex](A+Bx)e^{-x}[/itex] into your differential equation and solving for A and B, as Char Limit pointed out.

1. How do I approach solving an initial value problem?

Solving an initial value problem involves finding the general solution, which is a function that satisfies the given differential equation and initial conditions. This can be done through various techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or using a specific formula for the type of equation. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before choosing an appropriate method.

2. What are the initial conditions in an initial value problem?

The initial conditions refer to the values of the dependent and independent variables at a specific point, usually denoted as x = a. These conditions are used to determine the constants in the general solution and help find the particular solution for the given problem.

3. Can an initial value problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, an initial value problem can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution usually involves one or more arbitrary constants, and these constants can take on different values, resulting in different solutions. The particular solution, which satisfies the initial conditions, is unique.

4. What is the role of the initial value theorem in solving an initial value problem?

The initial value theorem is used to determine the value of the dependent variable at a specific point, given the general solution and initial conditions. It is particularly useful when the general solution involves complex functions or integrals, making it difficult to directly evaluate the value at a point.

5. Are there any online resources that can help with solving initial value problems?

Yes, there are many online resources available that provide step-by-step guides, practice problems, and interactive tools for solving initial value problems. Some examples include WolframAlpha, Khan Academy, and Paul's Online Math Notes. It is important to use these resources as a supplement to your learning and not rely solely on them for solving problems.