1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help finding origin of an equation

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    I am doing a Michelson interferometer lab which instructs me to use the equation Fb=(Fl*v)/c, where Fb is the beat frequency, Fl is the frequency of the laser, and v is the velocity of a oscillating mirror. The interferometer has one stationary mirror and a mirror that is mounted on a speaker that oscillates from a signal provided by a function generator. I'm trying to find the origin of the Fb=... equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2012 #2
    It's derived using the relativistic Doppler effect formula.

When the light is incident on the mirror, the frequency in the rest frame of the mirror is:
    [tex]
    f' = f_L \, \sqrt{\frac{1 + \beta}{1 - \beta} }, \ \beta = \frac{v}{c}
    [/tex]

Then, as the mirror re-emits the light, the new frequency is:
    [tex]
    \tilde{f} = f' \, \sqrt{\frac{1 + \beta}{1 - \beta} } = f_L \, \frac{1 + \beta}{1 - \beta}
    [/tex]
    Then, use the fact that [itex]\beta \ll 1[/itex] and perform an expansion in powers of [itex]\beta[/itex]. To first order we have:
    [tex]
    \frac{1 + \beta}{1 - \beta} = (1 + \beta) ( 1 - \beta)^{-1} = (1 + \beta) \left[ 1 + (-1) (-\beta) + O(\beta^2) \right] = 1 + 2 \beta + O(\beta^2)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \tilde{f} \approx f_L + 2 \, f_L \, \beta
    [/tex]

Then, consider the interference of the incoming light ray and the reflected ray with a slightly bigger frequency.

[tex]
    u = A \, \cos \left[ 2 \pi f_L \left(t - \frac{x}{c} \right) \right] - A \, \cos \left[ 2 \pi \tilde{f} \left(t + \frac{x}{c} \right) \right]
    [/tex]

You should use simple trigonometry to see that this represents a beating wave, with a beat frequency:
    [tex]
    f_B = \frac{\tilde{f} - f_L}{2}
    [/tex]
    which reproduces your formula.

4. Feb 8, 2012 #3
    Thank you, I really appreciate it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook