Need help finding required Propellant Fraction for equation

In summary, the conversation is discussing a homework question about a cryogenic chemical propulsion system with a specific impulse (Isp) of 450 seconds. The goal is to find the required propellant fraction, with the provided information of a ΔVelocity of 9.6 km/s. The relevant equation is the rocket equation, which includes Isp and the exhaust velocity equation. The question also mentions the need to input exp(-ΔV/Vex) on a calculator to solve the equation.
BilboBombadillo

Homework Statement

Consider a cryogenic chemical propulsion system with Isp (specific impulse) = 450 s
Enter the required propellant fraction as a proportion with at least two decimal places.

The ΔVelocity is provided. ΔV = 9.6 km/s

Homework Equations

Rocket equation:
ΔV = Vex x Ln (initial mass/final mass)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm atrocious at math, yet this question has come may way nonetheless. Do I just reverse the standard rocket equation one uses to find the Delta Velocity?
Propellant/final mass = ΔV x Isp?
I need smart folk.

Physics news on Phys.org
BilboBombadillo said:

Homework Statement

Consider a cryogenic chemical propulsion system with Isp (specific impulse) = 450 s
Enter the required propellant fraction as a proportion with at least two decimal places.

The ΔVelocity is provided. ΔV = 9.6 km/s

Homework Equations

Rocket equation:
ΔV = Vex x Ln (initial mass/final mass)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm atrocious at math, yet this question has come may way nonetheless. Do I just reverse the standard rocket equation one uses to find the Delta Velocity?
Propellant/final mass = ΔV x Isp?
I need smart folk.
In the rocket equation you listed, where does Isp fit in? Is there another relevant equation, or perhaps one that is more relevant to your problem?

Apologies I forgot the actual equation. The rocket equation I figured was necessary anyway, as no mass information is provided.
Here:
Propellant Fraction:
mprop/mi = 1 - exp(-ΔV/Vex)

Isp is part of the Exhaust velocity equation
Vex = g0 Isp
In fact, I think a better question would be - How does one input exp(-ΔV/Vex) on a calculator?

BilboBombadillo said:
Isp is part of the Exhaust velocity equation
Vex = g0 Isp
In fact, I think a better question would be - How does one input exp(-ΔV/Vex) on a calculator?
It depends on the kind of calculator you have. If it's a standard scientific calculator, enter ΔV, divide by V, change the sign (usually marked +/-), and then hit the ex button. Some of the fancier calculators these days allow you to enter the formula in the display.

1. What is the required Propellant Fraction for an equation?

The required Propellant Fraction for an equation is the proportion of propellant needed to achieve a desired velocity or trajectory. It is typically represented as a decimal or percentage.

2. How do you calculate the required Propellant Fraction?

The required Propellant Fraction can be calculated using the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation, which takes into account the rocket's mass, velocity, and specific impulse. It can also be calculated using other equations that consider factors such as atmospheric drag and gravity losses.

3. What factors affect the required Propellant Fraction?

The required Propellant Fraction can be affected by various factors such as the desired velocity or trajectory, the rocket's mass ratio, atmospheric conditions, and the specific impulse of the propellant being used. Other factors such as gravity losses and atmospheric drag can also play a role.

4. Can the required Propellant Fraction be determined experimentally?

No, the required Propellant Fraction cannot be determined experimentally as it is a calculated value based on various equations and factors. However, experimental data can be used to validate the calculated value and make adjustments if necessary.

5. How does the required Propellant Fraction impact rocket design?

The required Propellant Fraction is a critical factor in rocket design as it directly affects the mass and size of the rocket. A higher required Propellant Fraction means a larger amount of propellant is needed, which can impact the rocket's weight, cost, and overall design. Finding the optimal Propellant Fraction is crucial in designing an efficient and successful rocket.