How Do You Determine the Supply Equation for a Commodity?

• Thread starter wmosley
  • Start date
In summary, for a certain commodity with a demand equation of D= -5p + 50, at a price of $1, twelve units are supplied. If the supply equation is linear and the market price is $4, the supply equation can be written as S= 3p + 12 and the demand at a price of $4 is 30. To find the value of 'a' in the supply equation, you can use the fact that S=30 and p=4, giving you a=6 and the complete supply equation of S= 6p + 12.
wmosley
need help finishing problem!

For a certain commodity, the deman equation is given by D= -5p + 50. At a price of $1, twelve units of the commodity are supplied. If the supply equation is linear and the market price is $4, find the supply equation.

I know that the supply equation is linear, it must be of the form
s= ap+ b. I also know that "At a price of $1, twelve units of the commodity are supplied"- that is, when p= 1, s= 12 so 12= a(1)+ b or a+ b= 1. That means that b= 1- a and the supply equation can be written s= ap+ 1- a. Finally, its says that the "Market price is $4" which means that the value of p at which the supply and demand equations give s= D is 4. The demand equation is D= -5p + 5. When p= 4, what is D? I know what D equals. I also know s: s= D. I'm just not sure how put that value of s as well as p= 4 into the supply equation and solve for a. Can someone help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you make sure you copied the question down correctly (especially, the demand curve) ? At a market price of $4, the demand would be negative (-15), and that's not sensible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I edited the problem, everything should read correctly now..

wmosley said:
For a certain commodity, the deman equation is given by D= -5p + 50. At a price of $1, twelve units of the commodity are supplied. If the supply equation is linear and the market price is $4, find the supply equation.

I know that the supply equation is linear, it must be of the form
s= ap+ b. I also know that "At a price of $1, twelve units of the commodity are supplied"- that is, when p= 1, s= 12 so 12= a(1)+ b or a+ b= 1.
You mean a+b=12 or b=12-a, or S = ap + 12 - a

That means that b= 1- a and the supply equation can be written s= ap+ 1- a. Finally, its says that the "Market price is $4" which means that the value of p at which the supply and demand equations give s= D is 4.
Correct.

The demand equation is D= -5p + 5. When p= 4, what is D?

You mean D = -5p + 50, according to your correction. So at p=4, D = -20+50 = 30.

I know what D equals. I also know s: s= D.

At p=4, S=D, and D=30, so S=30.

I'm just not sure how put that value of s as well as p= 4 into the supply equation and solve for a. Can someone help!

Now use S(4) = 30 in the equation for the supply curve.
Again, S = ap + 12 - a = 4a + 12 - a = 30
Or, 3a + 12 = 30.

This gives you 'a', from which you get the complete supply curve equation.

1. What is the problem that needs to be finished?

The problem that needs to be finished could be anything from a scientific experiment, a research project, a mathematical equation, or any other type of problem or task that requires a solution.

2. What resources are needed to finish the problem?

The resources needed to finish the problem will vary depending on the specific problem. It could include materials, equipment, data, software, or any other resources that are necessary for finding a solution.

3. What steps should I follow to finish the problem?

The steps to finish a problem will also depend on the nature of the problem. However, some general steps that can be followed include clearly defining the problem, gathering necessary resources and information, brainstorming potential solutions, testing and analyzing those solutions, and finally, choosing the most effective solution.

4. What if I am stuck and cannot finish the problem?

If you are stuck and unable to finish the problem, it is important to seek help from colleagues, mentors, or experts in the field. They may be able to offer a fresh perspective or provide guidance on how to approach the problem.

5. Can I collaborate with others to finish the problem?

Collaboration can be a valuable tool in solving complex problems. Working with others who have different perspectives and skills can lead to more creative and effective solutions. However, it is important to give credit and acknowledge contributions from all collaborators in the final solution.