1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help:How to measure stress on a bridge.

1. Jan 8, 2005 #1
    I am doing a science project which i have to measure the stress put on the models of 3 different kinds of bridge, and was wondering what the most efficient way to measure the force per square area.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We'll need more details. Do you know what the forces are, so you can calculate the stresses, or do you want to directly measure stresses of the member ?

The best way I know to measure stresses like these is by using a strain gauge and deriving the stress from the strain in the member. Another option, is using a load cell, but that may be more expensive and harder to work with (but I could easily be wrong, and this might be just what you need).

I suggest you google both options and decide what will work best for you.
  4. Jan 9, 2005 #3
    I need to measure the amount of compression and tension on the surface of a model bridge deck, and im not sure what the model will be made of yet, thank you though ill try that.
  5. Jan 9, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One pretty simple additional option could be to measure, say, deflection at some point (typically maximum) and use that to calculate the stresses.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?