1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on logic problem for Biology class

1. Sep 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey guys, so I have been trying for the longest time to find the pattern in a hard-level logic problem with no success. I was wondering if someone on here could take a look at the problem and come up with the correct pattern. The variables involved in the problem are the three shapes inside the larger shapes, the larger shapes, the colors, the borders, and the numbers inside the shapes.

2. Relevant equations
    The sequence order is either clockwise or counter-clockwise (as in each card looks at the card on either side of it but not both). The factors could be any of the variables listed above. And idk if this is true but I heard that the shapes have a precedence order (as in they look for more than one variable and if one of the variables are not satisfied, then they go to the next variable to see if that one is satisfied).

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried for the longest time to find the pattern but to no avail. I did find a couple patterns but they were not consistent throughout the sequence (for example, the number in the shapes influencing the number of sides on the next shape). So once again, I would really appreciate it if someone could find a solution to this problem. :D

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2014 #2
    What are the four shapes on the right for? I am seeing everything in the circle as being happy, so I'm a bit perplexed on what's going on. I see in the description that looking at the one clockwise or counter-clockwise is for easy and medium questions. I'm wonder if you could be looking across the row or two away in hard questions.

Edit: I think I figured out the program works, though not the solution. Do you put the items in the circle and move them around to deduce the relationship? I would start looking at very different kinds of rules. If they all seem to stay happy regardless of order, I would look at scenarios that have nothing to do with the order.

Edit Edit: I think you will have to reorder them in enough different ways that you can tell us if the shape looks clockwise or counterclockwise (or other if that's possible). It is not feasible for those of us who want to help to figure out the rule from a single screenshot alone, so you'll need to experiment with it enough to give us more information.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted