1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on proving something

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    There's this one proof that's been bugging me and I can't seem to get it at all.

Given: Isosceles triangle ABC (A being the vertex) and line AF as the < bisector of <BAC's exterior angle.

Prove: Line AF is parallel to base BC

I have no clue where to start on this...I tried making two congruent triangles but don't have enough information to prove they are congruent so I don't know what to do now. I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2
    Well because of the Isosceles triangle theorem B and C are congruent. Well also know that the new two angles you created with line with line AF will also be congruent. Since the 2 angles and angle A add up to 180 as well as all the angles in the triangle you can see that angle B will be congruent to the Angle FAX (Where X is a point outside A on line AB). Therefore BC and AF are parallel because corresponding angles are congruent.
  4. Nov 18, 2007 #3
    wait what are these two new angles that are created with line AF?

EDIT: Nevermind I understand...they're the angle bisectors. Thanks!
  5. Nov 18, 2007 #4
    Hold on...

4) m<FAX + m<CAF + m<BAC = 180 4) Angle addition
    m<CBA + m<ACB + m<BAC = 180

5) m<FAX + m<CAF = m<CBA + m<ACB 5) substitution (after subtracting m<BAC)

How do I isolate FAX and <CBA?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?