How Do You Calculate Resistance in a Series Circuit?

• Thread starter lazyboy92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the value of R is 30 Ohms and the total resistance is also 30 Ohms. It is unclear if the 300mA is the current at a specific time or after a long time has passed. The circuit also contains inductors, but without further information, it is difficult to determine their effect on the circuit. There may be other answers that this question could yield, but without more context, it is not possible to provide them.
lazyboy92
_________300ma__
|...... |
|...... ∏ L1
_ +......| R1
9v......|........ ignore the dots in the middle
- -...... ∏ L2
|......| 2R
|________________|

Find the:

The value of R

The total resistance

and any other answers this question might yield

Thanks a lot.

only question i got wrong in a test. :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
300ma = 9/R
Total Resistance = 30Ohms

30/2 = 15ohms each resistor?

lazyboy92 said:
_________300ma__
|...... |
|...... ∏ L1
_ +......| R1
9v......|...... ... ignore the dots in the middle
- -...... ∏ L2
|......| 2R
|________________|

Find the:

The value of R

The total resistance

and any other answers this question might yield

Thanks a lot.

only question i got wrong in a test. :(
I am redrawing the circuit, hopefully this is easier to look at:
Code:
 ________300ma__
|               |
|               ∏ L1   
_ +             |  R1      
9v              |
- -             ∏ L2
|               |  2R
|_______________|

Are you sure you reproduced the question accurately? It's weird to have those inductors in there, without for example a switch that closes at time t=0 or something along those lines. Also, is the 300 mA the current at some specific time, or after a long time has passed?

Also, did you mean to say 2R or R2 in the figure?

drkidd22 said:
300ma = 9/R
Total Resistance = 30Ohms

30/2 = 15ohms each resistor?
If R were 300 ohms, then the current would be 9/300≠0.3A.

Last edited:
Redbelly98 said:
If R were 300 ohms, then the current would be 9/300≠0.3A.

I mean 30 Ohms, the O makes it look like a 300

I am happy to assist with your question on series circuits.

Firstly, to find the value of R, we can use Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). In this case, we know the voltage (9V) and current (300mA or 0.3A), so we can rearrange the equation to solve for R.

R = V/I
R = 9V/0.3A
R = 30Ω

Therefore, the value of R is 30Ω.

To find the total resistance in this circuit, we need to add up the individual resistances. In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all the resistances. In this case, we have R1, R2, and 2R (since L2 and R2 are in parallel, we can combine them into one equivalent resistance).

Total resistance = R1 + 2R + R2
Total resistance = 30Ω + 2(30Ω) + 30Ω
Total resistance = 30Ω + 60Ω + 30Ω
Total resistance = 120Ω

Therefore, the total resistance in this circuit is 120Ω.

Additionally, this circuit may yield other answers such as the total current (since we know the voltage and total resistance, we can use Ohm's Law to find the current) and the voltage drops across each component (since we know the current and resistance of each component, we can use Ohm's Law to find the voltage drop).

I hope this helps and good luck on your future tests! Remember to always double check your calculations and use the appropriate formulas for each situation.

Related to How Do You Calculate Resistance in a Series Circuit?

What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the components are connected in a single loop or path, with the same amount of current flowing through each component.

What components are typically found in a series circuit?

A series circuit typically consists of a power source, such as a battery, wires, and one or more resistors or other types of loads.

What is the difference between a series circuit and a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single path, while in a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple paths. This means that in a series circuit, the current remains the same throughout, while in a parallel circuit, the current can split and flow through different paths.

How do you calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a series circuit, you simply add together the individual resistances of each component. For example, if there are three resistors in a series circuit with values of 10 ohms, 20 ohms, and 30 ohms, the total resistance would be 60 ohms (10 + 20 + 30 = 60).

What happens to the total resistance as more components are added to a series circuit?

As more components are added to a series circuit, the total resistance increases. This is because the resistance of each component adds to the overall resistance of the circuit, making it more difficult for current to flow.