Need help on Thermodynamics problem: thermal expansion to be more specific

In summary, the problem involves finding the temperature at which a steel ring with a 2.5000in inside diameter and a brass shaft with a 2.5015in outside diameter will have a difference in thermal expansion that will allow the ring to slip over the shaft. The attempted solution involved converting the diameters to meters and using the given alpha value of 13*10-7 m/m°C. However, the calculated temperature difference of 45.9°C was incorrect and further calculation is needed.
Juniorphysics
Need help on Thermodynamics problem: thermal expansion to be more specific!

A steel ring with a 2.5000in- inside diameter at 20.0°C is to be warmed and slipped over a brass shaft with a 2.5015in outside diameter at 20.0°C.
Part A:

To what temperature should the ring be warmed?

Part B:

If the ring and the shaft together are cooled by some means such as liquid air, at what temperature will the ring just slip off the shaft?

Attempt at solution:
using dL=alphaLidT
i converted the diameters to meters because i was given alpha in m/m°C. so i got d1=0.0635m d2=0.0635381m and dL=0.0000381m
i used alpha=13*10-7m/m°C
and got dT to be 45.9 but that gave me the incorrect answer

Physics news on Phys.org

Juniorphysics said:
and got dT to be 45.9 but that gave me the incorrect answer
Double check your arithmetic. (FYI: No need to change units for the lengths.)

It gave me the same answer

Show your calculation. You are off by about a factor of 10.

Part A:

To determine the temperature at which the ring should be warmed, we can use the formula for thermal expansion: ΔL = αLΔT, where ΔL is the change in length, α is the coefficient of thermal expansion, L is the original length, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

In this case, we can rearrange the formula to solve for ΔT: ΔT = ΔL/(αL).

We already have the values for ΔL and L (the change in diameter and original diameter, respectively), but we need to determine the coefficient of thermal expansion (α) for both steel and brass.

According to engineeringtoolbox.com, the coefficient of thermal expansion for steel is 11.7*10^-6 m/m°C and for brass it is 18.7*10^-6 m/m°C.

Plugging in these values, we get:

ΔT = (0.0635381m - 0.0635m)/(11.7*10^-6 m/m°C * 0.0635m) = 0.0381m/(0.000007335m)

= 5188.62°C

Therefore, the ring should be warmed to a temperature of 5188.62°C for it to fit over the brass shaft at 20.0°C.

Part B:

To determine the temperature at which the ring will just slip off the shaft, we can use the same formula as in Part A, but this time we need to solve for ΔT when the change in length is equal to the diameter of the brass shaft (0.0635381m).

ΔT = ΔL/(αL)

ΔT = (0.0635381m)/(18.7*10^-6 m/m°C * 0.0635m)

= 0.0003386m/(0.000011845m)

= 28.65°C

Therefore, the ring and the shaft will just slip off at a temperature of 28.65°C when cooled by liquid air.

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to change in volume in response to a change in temperature. This occurs because as temperature increases, the particles in a substance move more rapidly, causing the substance to expand.

2. What is the equation for calculating thermal expansion?

The equation for calculating thermal expansion is ΔL = αL₀ΔT, where ΔL is the change in length, α is the coefficient of linear expansion, L₀ is the original length, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. How does thermal expansion affect different materials?

Different materials have different coefficients of thermal expansion, meaning they will expand or contract at different rates when exposed to the same change in temperature. Materials with higher coefficients of thermal expansion will expand more than those with lower coefficients.

4. How is thermal expansion used in everyday life?

Thermal expansion is used in many everyday applications, such as in thermometers, thermostats, and bimetallic strips. It is also a crucial factor in the design of structures, as materials can expand and contract with changes in temperature, causing stress and potential damage.

5. How is thermal expansion related to the Ideal Gas Law?

Thermal expansion is related to the Ideal Gas Law, as the law states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature at a constant pressure. This means that as the temperature of a gas increases, its volume will also increase due to thermal expansion.