1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on Thermodynamics problem: thermal expansion to be more specific

1. May 14, 2012 #1
    Need help on Thermodynamics problem: thermal expansion to be more specific!!

A steel ring with a 2.5000in- inside diameter at 20.0°C is to be warmed and slipped over a brass shaft with a 2.5015in outside diameter at 20.0°C.
    Part A:

To what temperature should the ring be warmed?

Part B:

If the ring and the shaft together are cooled by some means such as liquid air, at what temperature will the ring just slip off the shaft?

Attempt at solution:
    using dL=alphaLidT
    i converted the diameters to meters because i was given alpha in m/m°C. so i got d1=0.0635m d2=0.0635381m and dL=0.0000381m
    i used alpha=13*10-7m/m°C
    and got dT to be 45.9 but that gave me the incorrect answer

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Need help on Thermodynamics problem: thermal expansion to be more specific!!

Double check your arithmetic. (FYI: No need to change units for the lengths.)

4. May 14, 2012 #3
    Re: Need help on Thermodynamics problem: thermal expansion to be more specific!!

It gave me the same answer

5. May 15, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Show your calculation. You are off by about a factor of 10.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook