Need Help, Please Physics Homework, Final tomorrow Please

In summary, the first conversation discusses finding the tension in a clothesline caused by a 3kg heavy winter coat hanging in the middle, resulting in a sag of 5 degrees. The second conversation involves calculating the original speed of a car that decelerated at a rate of 4 m/s^2 and traveled 40 meters before coming to a stop.
cillaxe
1)A 3kg heavy winter coat hangs in the middle of a clothesline causing it to sag by an angle of 5 degrees. Find the tension in the clothesline.

2). A car is traveling with a constant speed when the driver suddenly applies the brakes giving the car a deceleration of 4 m/s^2. If re car. Comes to a stop in a distance of 40 meters. What was re cars original speed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, the same rules apply here. You need to show your work before others can help you. The first one is just resolving forces along the clothesline. The second one requires one of the three basic kinematics equations.

1) To find the tension in the clothesline, we can use the equation T = mg tanθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the coat, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of sag (5 degrees in this case). Plugging in the values, we get T = (3 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) tan(5 degrees) = 0.263 N. Therefore, the tension in the clothesline is 0.263 N.

2) We can use the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final speed (0 m/s in this case), u is the initial speed (what we are trying to find), a is the deceleration (-4 m/s^2), and s is the distance (40 meters). Plugging in the values, we get 0^2 = u^2 + 2(-4 m/s^2)(40 m), which simplifies to u = 8 m/s. Therefore, the car's original speed was 8 m/s before the brakes were applied.

1. What are the main topics covered in the physics homework for the final?

The physics homework for the final likely covers a range of topics including mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics.

2. Where can I find resources to help me with my physics homework?

There are many resources available online to help with physics homework, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. You can also reach out to your professor, TA, or classmates for assistance.

3. How can I best prepare for my physics final?

To prepare for your physics final, make sure to review all the material covered in class and in your homework assignments. Practice solving problems and make sure to understand the underlying concepts. You can also try taking practice exams to get a feel for the types of questions that may be asked.

4. Is it okay to use a calculator on the physics final?

This depends on your professor's policies. Some may allow the use of calculators while others may not. Make sure to check with your professor beforehand to avoid any issues during the exam.

5. How can I manage my time effectively during the physics final?

It is important to pace yourself during the physics final. Start with the problems you feel most confident in and save the more difficult ones for later. Make sure to also keep an eye on the time and allocate enough time for each question. If you get stuck on a problem, move on to the next one and come back to it later if you have time.