Deriving Quadratic Equation from Taylor Expansion: An Exercise

In summary: In this problem, however, the function of interest, y, is not explicitly given. Rather, we are trying to find it by solving some equations. Therefore, the second degree Taylor's expansion cannot be used here.
kel

Homework Statement

I have the following question to answer:
Show that
(X^2/h^2)*((1/2*y1) - y2 + (1/2*y3)) + (X/h)*((-1/2 y1)+(1/2 y3))+y2 (sorry about the format)

is equal to (taylor expansion):
y = y2+(x(dy/dx)¦0 + (x^2/2*((d^2)y)/(dx^2))¦0

Homework Equations

also given in dy/dx¦0 is value of dy/dx when x = 0

and

dy/dx¦0 (approximately) = 1/2h (y(+h)-y(-h))

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to derive the quadratic, but I never really got the hang of taylor expansions so I'm lost.

I can see that there is a double derivative term, but as this i the derivative of the dy/dx¦0 term with no x values in it, does it then become zero? Also, all I have ended up with for the taylor expansion is:

y= y2 + x(1/2h(y(+h)-y(-h))) + x^2/2 ((double derivative term = 0)
giving
y= y2 + x(1/2h(y(+h)-y(-h))) and then I've tried to multiply out the brackets.

I can see that I've gone wrong as I can't get an answer.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please??

Cheers
Kel

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid this doesn't make much since to me. Is "X" in the first formula the same as "x" in the second? Are y1, y2, y3 arbitrary values of y? You use y2 in the second formula but not y1 or y3. What happened to them? There is an "h" in the first formula that is not present in the second.

I don't see how the two formulas could be the same since one contains much more information (h, y1, y3) than the other.

IF you are assuming that y1= y(0), y2= y(h), and y3= y(2h) please say so!

Ok, here's a copy of the problem sheet (I'm on question 3)

and a copy of the lecturers notes - the relevant part is on page and 7, hopefully this will explain it a bit better than I can.

Cheers

Attachments

• prob3.pdf
    22.1 KB · Views: 272
  • 1.pdf
    64.5 KB · Views: 280
pages 6 & 7 I mean

Wouldn't it have been simpler just to say y2= y(X), y1= y(X-h), and y2= y(X+h)?

Notice an important difference: in deriving the Taylor's expansion (2nd degree Taylor polynomial), you must assume that you KNOW y(x), that is, y as a function of x. Then show that, whatever y(x) is, you can arrive at the interpolation polynomial.

1. What is the purpose of deriving a quadratic equation from Taylor expansion?

The purpose of deriving a quadratic equation from Taylor expansion is to find the approximate values of a function at a certain point by using a polynomial that closely resembles the function. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is the quadratic equation derived from Taylor expansion?

The quadratic equation is derived from Taylor expansion by taking the first three terms of the expansion, which includes the constant term, the first derivative, and the second derivative. These terms are then used to form a polynomial in the form of y = ax² + bx + c, where a, b, and c are coefficients that can be calculated using the derivatives of the function at the given point.

3. Can a quadratic equation be derived from any function using Taylor expansion?

Yes, a quadratic equation can be derived from any function using Taylor expansion as long as the function is differentiable at the given point. This means that the function must have a defined first and second derivative at that point.

4. What is the significance of the remainder term in a Taylor expansion?

The remainder term in a Taylor expansion represents the error or the difference between the actual value of the function and the approximation using the polynomial. It decreases as the degree of the polynomial increases, making the polynomial a more accurate approximation of the function.

5. How is a quadratic equation from Taylor expansion used in real-life applications?

A quadratic equation from Taylor expansion can be used in various real-life applications such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, estimating the value of a stock, or determining the optimal level of production for a business. It can also be used as a starting point for finding more accurate solutions using numerical methods.