Need help understanding Initial Mass Function

In summary, the initial mass function is a probablity distribution function which helps you calculate the number of stars between a certain mass range.
BERGXK
I need help understanding initial mass function. In class the teacher gave us a example to understand this concept but I am completely lost. Can someone please decrypt this problem for me? I really don't have a clue on how to get started at all.

Assume the milky way contains 5 x 10^10 Solar masses of gas and 10^11 stars that were formed with an initial mass function dN/dM α M^-2.35 in the range 0.4-100 solar masses.

What fraction of stars formed with a mass above 8 Solar Masses,, the threshold for eventual core collapse? About how many neutron stars and black holes are there in the galaxy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this course work / home work? Then it belongs in the HW section of PF.

Anyway, do you know how a probablilty distrubution function works?

The initial mass function is just a probablilty distrubution function.

well it isn't exactly hw, just an example problem from class I just don't have any idea how to do it.

BERGXK said:
well it isn't exactly hw, just an example problem from class I just don't have any idea how to do it.

Ok, then I ask you: Do you know how a probablity distrubution function works?

No idea lol, I've haven't had time to go to lecture recently with projects in my other classes. This was just an example in the teachers online notes but he sort of just pulls an answer out and idk how anything works other then the obvious change in N over change in mass is inversely proportional to mass.

Im asking about this example because of another homework problem due next week which has a problem that uses the dN/dM α M^-2.35 to find binary stars over 8 solar masses in the galaxy and i have no idea how to do that homework problem. I thought maybe if i understood this example i could go on to solve the other one.

I would greatly appreciate it if u could help me get started on this one because right now i have no idea on how to even start this =(

I see

The key concept is probability distrubution function.

One example is the plack distribution for EM spectra:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck's_law_of_black_body_radiation

So [tex] I(\lambda ' ,T) [/tex] is the probablity that you'll have a photon between wavelength [tex] \lambda ' [/tex] and [tex] \lambda ' + d\lambda [/tex]

The initial mass function gives you the probablity that a star is born with a mass between [tex] m [/tex] and [tex] m + dm [/tex]

And if you want to calculate the number of stars between mass m1 and m2:
[tex] \alpha ^{-1} \cdot \int _{m1}^{m2}N(m)dm [/tex]

Where:
[tex] \alpha = \int _{0.4}^{100}N(m)dm [/tex]
Is the normalisation constant

Now you go ahead and try :-)

Thanks, that helped a lot =D

What is an Initial Mass Function (IMF)?

An Initial Mass Function (IMF) is a mathematical function that describes the distribution of masses for a population of stars at the time of their formation. It shows the relative number of stars that are formed with different masses.

Why is understanding the IMF important?

Understanding the IMF is important because it helps us to understand the formation and evolution of galaxies. It also provides insight into the physical processes involved in star formation and can help us to predict the number and types of stars that will form in different regions of the universe.

What factors influence the IMF?

There are several factors that can influence the IMF, including the initial conditions of the gas and dust clouds where stars are formed, the rate at which the gas and dust collapse to form stars, and the interactions between stars in a cluster. Other factors, such as the presence of magnetic fields, can also play a role.

How is the IMF measured or determined?

The IMF is typically determined by observing a large number of stars in different regions of the universe and measuring their masses. This data is then used to create a mass distribution, which is then fit to different mathematical functions to find the best fit. The most commonly used function to describe the IMF is the Salpeter function.

Can the IMF change over time?

Yes, the IMF can change over time. It is believed that the IMF may have been different in the early universe compared to what we observe today. This can be due to changes in the physical conditions of star formation, such as the amount of gas available, or due to the evolution of galaxies and their environments.