Why Does Raising Both Sides of a Logarithmic Equation Yield a Different Result?

• Thread starter christian0710
  • Start date
In summary, a basic equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. To solve a basic equation, you need to isolate the variable you are solving for by using inverse operations. The most common types of basic equations are linear, quadratic, and exponential equations. To check if your solution is correct, you can substitute the value back into the original equation. Basic equations can be applied in real-life situations to calculate distances, determine prices, and make informed decisions based on data and patterns.
christian0710
Hi I don't understand why this is true:

If you have the function logS = a -0,0018t
and you raise both sides of the equation in 10 you should get

S = 10^(a) - 10^(-0,0018t)

but in my book they get

S= 10^(a - 0,0018t)

When you raise both sides of the equation in 10, should you not raise the individual terms on each side and NOT the whole side?

Physics news on Phys.org
christian0710 said:

No, you shouldn't! 10^(a+ b)= (10^a)(10^b) NOT "10^a+ 10^b".

but in my book they get

S= 10^(a - 0,0018t)

When you raise both sides of the equation in 10, should you not raise the individual terms on each side and NOT the whole side?
You "should" learn the rules of of exponents:
x^(a+ b)= (x^a)(x^b)
and
(x^a)^b= x^(ab)

christian0710 said:

but in my book they get

S= 10^(a - 0,0018t)

You seem to think that 10^(a-b) = 10^a - 10^b. Why don't you check this out for yourself? If a = 2 and b = 1, we have c = a-b = 2-1 = 1, so 10^c = 10^1 = 10. Do you agree so far? Now 10^a - 10^b = 10^2 - 10^1 = 100 - 10 = 90. OK still? So, now: do you really think that 10 = 90?

In general, what is true is that ##10^{a+b} = 10^a \times 10^b## and ##10^{a-b} = 10^a \div 10^b##. In fact, that is the whole point of logarithms: you can do multiplication or division by addion or subtraction of logarithms.

FAQ: Why Does Raising Both Sides of a Logarithmic Equation Yield a Different Result?

1. What is a basic equation?

A basic equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. It typically contains variables, constants, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How do I solve a basic equation?

To solve a basic equation, you need to isolate the variable you are solving for on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations. Once the variable is isolated, you can solve for its value by performing the necessary arithmetic operations.

3. What are the most common types of basic equations?

The most common types of basic equations are linear equations, quadratic equations, and exponential equations. Linear equations involve only one variable and have a degree of 1. Quadratic equations involve a variable raised to the power of 2, and exponential equations involve a variable raised to a constant power.

4. How can I check if my solution to a basic equation is correct?

To check if your solution to a basic equation is correct, you can substitute the value you found for the variable back into the original equation and see if the equation holds true. If both sides of the equation are equal, then your solution is correct.

5. Can I use basic equations in real-life situations?

Yes, basic equations can be used in many real-life situations, such as calculating distances, determining prices, and predicting future values. Understanding basic equations can also help in making informed decisions based on data and patterns.

Back