How to Prove This Complex Inequality Involving Absolute Values?

In summary, the conversation is about a complex inequality that the person has been struggling with. Someone suggests a method involving subtracting a term at the end, but there is a question about its validity.
saint_n
Need help with a complex inequality??

hey!
i been trying to do this inequality for a 2 hrs now and can't seem to prove it
[tex]|\frac{1}{2}(a+b)|^p \leq \frac{1}{2}(|a|^p+|b|^p)[/tex] where a,b are complex numbers
Can anyone suggest a way??
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try this:

[tex]|\frac{1}{2}(a+b)|^{p}\leq(\sqrt[p]{\frac{1}{2}}|(a+b)|)^{p}-pab[/tex]

Yes, I know, the last term is only pab if p=2, but you will always be subtracting somthing at the end, no matter the value of p. I think this kinda works...

so you saying that [tex]|\frac{1}{2}(a+b)|^{p}\leq(\sqrt[p]{\frac{1}{2}}|(a+b)|)^{p}-pab \leq \frac{1}{2}(|a|^p+|b|^p)[/tex]

for p = 1
[tex]|\frac{1}{2}(a+b)|\leq(\frac{1}{2}|(a+b)|)-ab [/tex]
isnt this false because you subtracting a ab on the RHS?

Last edited:

Related to How to Prove This Complex Inequality Involving Absolute Values?

1. What is the best approach for solving a complex inequality?

The best approach for solving a complex inequality is to first simplify the inequality by combining like terms and using properties of inequalities. Then, isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign. Finally, graph the solution on a number line to determine the appropriate solution set.

2. How do I know if my solution to a complex inequality is correct?

You can check the validity of your solution by plugging it back into the original inequality. If the inequality holds true, then your solution is correct. If the inequality does not hold true, then you may have made a mistake in your calculations and should recheck your work.

3. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a complex inequality?

One common mistake to avoid is incorrectly distributing a negative sign when simplifying the inequality. Another mistake is forgetting to switch the direction of the inequality sign when multiplying or dividing by a negative number. It is important to double check your work and be mindful of the properties of inequalities.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a complex inequality?

Yes, you can use a calculator to simplify the inequality and graph the solution. However, it is important to remember that the calculator may not always show all steps in the solution process, so it is still important to understand the steps for solving a complex inequality by hand.

5. How can I apply complex inequalities in real-world situations?

Complex inequalities can be applied in various real-world situations, such as determining the range of values for a variable in a mathematical model or solving problems involving inequalities in business or finance. They can also be used to analyze and compare data sets in statistics and probability.