Need help with a horrible integral Dont get scared

• Thread starter Bkkkk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about solving a difficult integral involving cosh(x)^2 and using substitutions to simplify the equation. The attempted solution involves using the substitution r=2GM/c2Cosh2(x) and integrating with Mathematica. However, the simplification needed to match the answer is still unclear, but the conversation provides some helpful hints for solving it.
Bkkkk
Need help with a horrible integral! Dont get scared

Homework Statement

Prove that
Equation.jpg

Homework Equations

Cosh2-Sinh2=1

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used the subsitution r=2GM/c2Cosh2(x) and the integral is simplified to:

4GM/c2*[tex]\int[/tex]Cosh2(x)dx

Integrating was done in Mathematica but I can't do the simplification needed for the equation to look like the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org

The integral of cosh(x)^2 is 2*cosh(x)*sinh(x)/4+x/2. The cosh(x)*sinh(x) is the first term in your answer, yes? The x/2 part is the hard one. You've got r~cosh(x)^2 (I'll ignore the constant factors). So x=arccosh(r^(1/2)). arccosh(a)=ln(a+sqrt(a^2-1)). Doesn't that look like the second term? You can throw away the third term. It's just a constant.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change, such as finding the distance traveled by an object over a certain time period.

2. Why is this integral considered horrible?

This integral may be considered horrible because it is difficult or complex to solve. It may involve complicated functions or require advanced techniques to solve.

3. How do I approach solving this integral?

First, try to identify the type of integral it is (e.g. trigonometric, exponential, etc.) and then use appropriate techniques such as integration by parts or substitution. If those methods do not work, you may need to use more advanced techniques or consult with a math expert.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to use the chain rule, making errors in algebraic simplifications, and forgetting to add the constant of integration.

5. Where can I find additional help with solving difficult integrals?

You can seek help from a math tutor, consult online resources such as tutorial videos or forums, or visit your school's math center for support. It may also be helpful to practice solving similar integrals to build your skills and understanding.