Need help with a nonlinear circuit problem

• Engineering
  • Thread starter akaCrazed
  • Start date
Hello, I have been working for hours on this single problem, to no avail. I am supposed to find the Thevenin equivalent for Voltage and Resistance, which I found to be 1ohm for resistance, and for question 2, Vth is -3V, and for 3 and 4, Vth is 1V. Any help is appreciated, as I have no clue where to go from here

Attachments

Answers and Replies

DaveE
Gold Member
One way to approach this would be to substitute a simpler model for the non-linear element. It is, of course, a piece-wise linear model composed of a 1ohm resistor and a 2v or -2V voltage source. Try solving for just a resistor, or just a voltage source. Then compare the operating point of that solution to the non-linear element, if the I,V calculated is on the non-linear element's I,V curve, then you have the solution. If not, try a different local I, V model for that element.

In my opinion, you may split the problem in 4 parts:
i>2 Z=2/i
0<i<2 Z=1
0>i>-2 Z=1
i<-2 Z=-2/i
Now you have to find I ,vo and v1 in each part.

Is it mandatory to use Thevenin's equivalent? You can solve the question without it as well. You've given the current, so that will either give a constant Vo or Vo in the form of an equation.

rude man
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hello, I have been working for hours on this single problem, to no avail. I am supposed to find the Thevenin equivalent for Voltage and Resistance, which I found to be 1ohm for resistance, and for question 2, Vth is -3V, and for 3 and 4, Vth is 1V. Any help is appreciated, as I have no clue where to go from here
It doen't say to find the thevenin equivalent. Thevenin equivalents aere always linear.
You can combine two ideal 2V zeners, 2 ideal diodes and one resistor to model the i-V characteristic.