1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with a question on Newtons Law's of Motion.

1. Jun 29, 2004 #1
    An elevator is moving upward with an acceleration of 1.0 m/s2. The total mass of the elevator and the passengers is 800kg. I need to find the tension in the elevator cable assuming g=32ft/s2. Need help, beginner in physics. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Draw a free body diagram of the elevator and figure out the magnitude of the total force, applied by the cable, that is required to make it accelerate upwards at 1 m/s. That's the tension in the cable.

- Warren

4. Jun 30, 2004 #3
    Forces acting downwards are : Gravity (800g)
    Forces acting upwards are : Tension.

Resolving forces and acceleration:
    F = ma
    T - 800G = 800x1
    T = 800 + 800G

I never ever work in feet and can't believe they've given it to you in the form ft/s^2, is this an age old textbook or something? Personally i don't know the feet to m conversion but if gravity is 9.8m/s/s.
    T = 8640N

5. Jun 30, 2004 #4
    Thank you very much

6. Jun 30, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

KnowledgeIsPower:

Please refrain from giving actual numerical answers to homework problems. It is much more constructive pedagogically to explain the method for solving the problem, but leave the actual numerical solution to the student.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?