Need help with a Slope problem

• Thread starter rbm003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving a cartesian coordinate system that does not have the W and T on the x and y-axis. Since R in the y direction is negative, they are trying to use mg to solve for R (in the y direction) sin (30). This works out great and the student is happy.
rbm003
Need urgent help with a Slope problem

Homework Statement

A plane is traveling at a constant velocity at 30 degrees above the horizontal. Weight (W)=86 500 N; thrust (T)=103 000 N. Find the lift force and the resistance force (L= normal force, R=friction) without shifting the cartesian coordinate system

Homework Equations

sum of the forces in the x=ma, sum of the forces in the y=ma. a=0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have set up the problem with x dir: T cos(30) - L sin(30) - Rcos(30)=ma and y dir: W - T sin(30) + L cos(30) - R sin(30)=ma and ma=0. R in the y dir is negative. Is R in the y dir equivalent to mg? I'm stuck with too many variables in my equation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
W = mg and it acts directly downward. Lift acts vertically. Resistance (Drag) acts in opposition to motion, or against the thrust.

See - http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/forces.html

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/presar.html
Since the fluid is in motion, we can define a flow direction along the motion. The component of the net force perpendicular (or normal) to the flow direction is called the lift; the component of the net force along the flow direction is called the drag. These are definitions. In reality, there is a single, net, integrated force caused by the pressure variations along a body. This aerodynamic force acts through the average location of the pressure variation which is called the center of pressure.

By convention take T and L to be positive, and R and W (= mg) to be negative.

See also - http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/cruise.html
which gives the condition for straight (horizontal) flight.

I understand the concepts as you explained them. My problem is that I connot tilt the x,y axis to solve the problem with information I have. Therefore, I am trying to use trig functions to solve for T and R, which are not directly on the x and y axis. The only compnent that is on the x and y-axis is W. Since R in the y direction is negative, can I use mg to solve R (in the y direction) sin (30)?

Anyone?

What does the text say about lift (L). According to NASA's site, L is vertical and balance against weight. The thrust (T) and drag or resistance (R) are oriented along the axis of the aircraft.

So that would imply L = W and T = R for cruising or constant velocity.

Thank you! That is exactly the information I needed! The problem worked out great.

Related to Need help with a Slope problem

1. What is slope and how is it calculated?

Slope is a measure of the steepness of a line. It is calculated by dividing the change in the y-values by the change in the x-values between two points on the line.

2. Why is slope important?

Slope is important because it helps us understand the relationship between two variables on a graph. It can also be used to make predictions and solve real-world problems.

3. How do I find the slope of a line?

To find the slope of a line, you will need two points on the line. Then, use the slope formula (rise over run) to calculate the slope.

4. Can slope be negative?

Yes, slope can be negative. A negative slope means that the line is decreasing from left to right, while a positive slope means that the line is increasing from left to right.

5. How is slope used in real-life situations?

Slope is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the speed of an object, determining the rate of change in a business, or finding the best angle for a ramp. It is also commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.