Need help with an integral (for momentum space wave function)

In summary: Replace x by z and close the contour in the upper half-plane or lower half-plane depending on the sign of k. Show that the only part of the contour which contributes to the integral is the portion along the real axis. The integrand has two simple poles, so it's a straightforward calculation to find the residue at each pole.
arenaninja

Homework Statement

Given [tex]\Psi(x,0)=\frac{A}{x^{2}+a^{2}}, (-\inf<x<\inf)[/tex]
a) determine A
c) find the momentum space wave function [tex]\Phi(p,0)[/tex], and check that it is normalized

Homework Equations

At t=0, we can find the momentum space wave function by the formula [tex]\Phi(p,0)=\frac{1}{\sqrt(2\pi\hbar)}\int_{-\inf}^{inf} e^{-\frac{ipx}{\hbar}}\Psi(x,0)dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that [tex]A=\sqrt(\frac{2a^{3}}{\pi})[/tex].
To find the momentum wave function, I haev
[tex]\Phi(p,0)=\frac{A}{\sqrt(2\pi\hbar)}\int_{-inf}^{inf} \frac{e^{-\frac{ipx}{\hbar}}}{x^{2}+a^{2}}dx[/tex]
but frankly I have never seen an integral of this kind and have no clue on how to proceed. I've looked at my old calculus book, some tables of integrals and wolframalpha but they're yielding nothing. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at a Fourier transform table, because that's what your integral is.

Last edited:
Expand [tex]1/(x^2+a^2)[/tex] in partial fractions using the imaginary roots. In each of the 2 terms you get, make a linear change of variables and then integrate directly.

Typically residues theorem application. This one is a case in which studying complex analysis before quantum mechanics really pays off. Or, as others suggested, you look it up in a table of Fourier transformations, eg on Wikipedia.

I searched some Fourier transform tables on the web (even saw the one in wkipedia) but frankly I couldn't discern the one that applied to this case (in fact I thought most of them do not look very similar).

fzero, thanks for the suggestion. I think I see where I could go with this. So the setup is:
[tex]\frac{A}{x+ia}+\frac{B}{x-ia}=1[/tex]
from which I get
[tex]x(A+B)=0[/tex] and this implies [tex]A=-B[/tex]
and
[tex]A(-ia)+(-A)ia=1[/tex]
so I worked out that
[tex]A=\frac{-1}{2ia}[/tex]
A weird number for sure (and complex to boot), but I suppose it's be expected in this situation.
So now I have
[tex]A \int_{-inf}^{inf} \frac{e^{-ipx/h}}{x+ia}dx - A \int_{-inf}^{inf} \frac{e^{-ipx/h}}{x-ia}dx[/tex]
but I don't see how a change of variables will convert these two to functions that I can integrate.

Anything else I could add to my arsenal?

Try [tex]x = y \pm ia[/tex]. The idea is to get an integral of the form

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{e^{-i\alpha y}}{y} dy. [/tex]

This is an integral that you can look up in a table of Fourier transforms. For instance, it's 309 (up to conventions) on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform#Distributions

arenaninja said:
I searched some Fourier transform tables on the web (even saw the one in wkipedia) but frankly I couldn't discern the one that applied to this case (in fact I thought most of them do not look very similar).

fzero, thanks for the suggestion. I think I see where I could go with this. So the setup is:
[tex]\frac{A}{x+ia}+\frac{B}{x-ia}=1[/tex]
from which I get
[tex]x(A+B)=0[/tex] and this implies [tex]A=-B[/tex]
and
[tex]A(-ia)+(-A)ia=1[/tex]
so I worked out that
[tex]A=\frac{-1}{2ia}[/tex]
A weird number for sure (and complex to boot), but I suppose it's be expected in this situation.
So now I have
[tex]A \int_{-inf}^{inf} \frac{e^{-ipx/h}}{x+ia}dx - A \int_{-inf}^{inf} \frac{e^{-ipx/h}}{x-ia}dx[/tex]
but I don't see how a change of variables will convert these two to functions that I can integrate.

Anything else I could add to my arsenal?

A while after answering your question I looked up this integral in a Fourier Transform table and I suspect this might involve having to use distributions, or am I wrong (anybody)?
bigubau said:
Typically residues theorem application. This one is a case in which studying complex analysis before quantum mechanics really pays off. Or, as others suggested, you look it up in a table of Fourier transformations, eg on Wikipedia.

How would you compute such an integral using the residue theorem?

Last edited:
Amok said:
How would you compute such an integral using the residue theorem?
Replace x by z and close the contour in the upper half-plane or lower half-plane depending on the sign of k. Show that the only part of the contour which contributes to the integral is the portion along the real axis. The integrand has two simple poles, so it's a straightforward calculation to find the residue at each pole.

Related to Need help with an integral (for momentum space wave function)

1. What is an integral in the context of momentum space wave function?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve. In the context of momentum space wave function, it is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle with a given momentum within a certain range.

2. Why is it important to calculate integrals for momentum space wave function?

Calculating integrals for momentum space wave function allows us to determine the probability of finding a particle with a specific momentum, which is essential in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

3. How do you solve an integral for momentum space wave function?

To solve an integral for momentum space wave function, you need to first determine the limits of integration and the function to be integrated. Then, you can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to evaluate the integral.

4. Can integrals for momentum space wave function have complex solutions?

Yes, integrals for momentum space wave function can have complex solutions. This is because the wave function itself is a complex-valued function, and the integral involves integrating over complex numbers.

5. Are there any applications of integrals for momentum space wave function?

Yes, there are many applications of integrals for momentum space wave function in various fields such as quantum mechanics, molecular dynamics, and statistical mechanics. It is used to calculate various physical quantities, including probabilities, energy, and momentum distributions.