1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with angular momentum

1. Dec 19, 2006 #1
    Need help with angular momentum!!

Hi - I have been working on this homework problem for 3 days now and I'm so stumped! Any help would be much appreciated! :blushing:

A particles with total angular momentum J = 1 is in an eigenstate |j,m> of the operators J^2, J_z. This problem concerns the probability of finding the particle in an eigenstate |j,m_n> of the operator K(hat) = n (dot) J which is the projection of ang. mom. along n.

n = sin(theta)cos(phi) e_x + sin(theta)sin(phi) e_y + cos(theta) e_z ---> spherical polar angles

What are allowed values of m_n?

How would I go about finding the probability of finding the particle in eigenstate |j,m_n> for any value of m_n when the particle is prepared in the state |j,m=1> where I think j is always 1 for this problem.

Thanx!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2006 #2
    What do you think the allowed values of [tex]m_n[/tex] are? Is there anything particularly sacred about your choice of the z direction?

Also, there are two good ways to look at this problem. One is to compute said rotated operator eigenstates, the other is to rotate the z-direction eigenstate problem into the n-direction. Either way works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?