How Do You Convert Astronomical Units to Parsecs Using a Calculator?

• Thread starter alannam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astronomy
In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with using a calculator for astronomy equations, specifically for converting between astronomical units and parsecs. They are having trouble getting correct answers and suspect it may be due to incorrect order of operations. They are currently trying to simplify the equation 1.496x10^11/3.086x10^16 in order to solve it and potentially solve their assignment problems.
alannam
I actually need help with using my calculator for astronomy equations. I am trying to do conversions from astronomical units to parsecs and vice versa, and the answers I am getting do not make sense. I believe I am simply performing my order of operations incorrectly, but after hours of trying, do not seem to be able to figure it out. Right now, I am trying to simplify to figure out what to do by dividing an astronomical unit by a parsec:
1.496x10^11/3.086x10^16. I think if I can simply figure out how to perform this, I should be able to figure out the problems with my assignments.

Physics news on Phys.org
alannam said:
I actually need help with using my calculator for astronomy equations. I am trying to do conversions from astronomical units to parsecs and vice versa, and the answers I am getting do not make sense. I believe I am simply performing my order of operations incorrectly, but after hours of trying, do not seem to be able to figure it out. Right now, I am trying to simplify to figure out what to do by dividing an astronomical unit by a parsec:
1.496x10^11/3.086x10^16. I think if I can simply figure out how to perform this, I should be able to figure out the problems with my assignments.

What numbers are you getting for a result? Are you using a scientific calculator with EE (10^EE) notation?

1. What is astronomy?

Astronomy is the scientific study of celestial objects, such as planets, stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. It involves the observation, analysis, and interpretation of these objects and their physical properties.

2. Why is astronomy important?

Astronomy helps us understand the origins, evolution, and properties of the universe. It also has practical applications, such as navigation and timekeeping, as well as technological advancements in fields like telecommunications and space exploration.

3. What are some basic concepts in astronomy?

Some basic concepts in astronomy include the solar system, the Milky Way galaxy, the Big Bang theory, the speed of light, and the laws of gravity and motion. These concepts help us understand the structure and behavior of the universe.

4. How can I get started with basic astronomy?

There are many ways to get started with basic astronomy, such as reading books or articles, attending lectures or workshops, joining a local astronomy club, or using online resources like apps or websites. It's also helpful to have a basic understanding of math and physics.

5. What are some common misconceptions about astronomy?

Some common misconceptions about astronomy include the belief that the Earth is the center of the universe, that all stars are the same size and brightness, and that the moon has a dark side. In reality, these have been proven false through scientific research and observations.