• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Need help with basic astronomy

• Thread starter alannam
  • Start date
I actually need help with using my calculator for astronomy equations. I am trying to do conversions from astronomical units to parsecs and vice versa, and the answers I am getting do not make sense. I believe I am simply performing my order of operations incorrectly, but after hours of trying, do not seem to be able to figure it out. Right now, I am trying to simplify to figure out what to do by dividing an astronomical unit by a parsec:
1.496x10^11/3.086x10^16. I think if I can simply figure out how to perform this, I should be able to figure out the problems with my assignments.

Answers and Replies

gneill
Mentor
I actually need help with using my calculator for astronomy equations. I am trying to do conversions from astronomical units to parsecs and vice versa, and the answers I am getting do not make sense. I believe I am simply performing my order of operations incorrectly, but after hours of trying, do not seem to be able to figure it out. Right now, I am trying to simplify to figure out what to do by dividing an astronomical unit by a parsec:
1.496x10^11/3.086x10^16. I think if I can simply figure out how to perform this, I should be able to figure out the problems with my assignments.
What numbers are you getting for a result? Are you using a scientific calculator with EE (10^EE) notation?