What Is the Role of Point D in a Body Diagram and Moment Equilibrium?

In summary, the given problem involves a structure with a hinge at point A and the ability to roll over the supporting surface at point D to compensate for expansion. The equilibrium conditions for the structure are that the net forces in the x and y directions are equal to 0, and the total moment is also equal to 0. The question is whether or not there should be a force present at point D, and it is suggested to assume there is no force and that point D may be a pulley instead of a support.
cracktheegg

Homework Statement

Untitled_zpseabfa304.png

Homework Equations

M=FA

Equlibrium condition=
net Fy=0
net Fx = 0
Total Moment=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help with the body diagrem

The D circle thing is what? is that a roller?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I also think so. The structure hinges at A and in order to compensate for its expansion it can roll over the supporting surface at D. The cable is there to raise it.

photo1_zps28ed9b30.jpg

Did i draw correctly?

It seems so,yes. I am also not sure if there should be a force at D since it seems you would not be able to solve it if there is a force present at that point.

I think you should assume there is no force at D. Maybe it is not a bridge and it is a pulley at end D.

Basic_Physics said:
I think you should assume there is no force at D. Maybe it is not a bridge and it is a pulley at end D.
That is how I see it also. No support at D.

Related to What Is the Role of Point D in a Body Diagram and Moment Equilibrium?

1. What is a body diagram?

A body diagram is a visual representation of an object or system, showing all the forces acting on it. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the forces and moments that affect the motion of an object.

2. How do you draw a body diagram?

To draw a body diagram, you need to first identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, draw a simple sketch of the object and label all the forces with arrows pointing in the direction of the force. Finally, include any relevant measurements or angles to accurately represent the forces on the object.

3. What is a moment?

A moment is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force by the distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. Moments are often used in conjunction with body diagrams to analyze the stability and equilibrium of an object.

4. How do you calculate moments in a body diagram?

To calculate moments in a body diagram, you need to first identify the point of rotation and the line of action of the force. Then, multiply the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action. Repeat this process for all forces acting on the object and add up the moments to determine the overall rotational force.

5. Why is it important to use body diagrams and moments?

Body diagrams and moments are important tools in physics and engineering because they allow us to visualize and analyze the forces acting on an object. This helps us understand the motion and stability of the object, and can also aid in making design decisions or solving real-world problems.