How Do You Calculate the X Component of Force in Coulomb's Law?

• Thread starter nateastle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving the placement of three charges on an xy-coordinate system and finding the total force exerted on one of the charges by the other two. The force on the y-axis is correctly calculated using Coulomb's law, but there is difficulty in determining the force on the x-axis. The solution is to subtract the x component of the force between two of the charges. The final answer for the force on the x-axis is approximately 5.4 x 10^-5 N.
nateastle
I believe this is the right place for this question. I am strugling with getting this homework problem setup. The question is:

A charge q1 = -3 nc is placed at the origin of an xy-cordinate system, and a charge q2=2.00nC is placed on the positive y Axis at y=4cm. If a third charge q3 =4nC is now placed at point x=3 cm, y=4cm, find the x and y componets of the total force exerted on this charge by the other two.

I have setup my grid and figured out the force on the y Axis is -3.45 X 10^-5 (or at least I hope that is correct) but I am having problems figuring out how to setup the problem to get the force on the x axis. If I didn't calculate the force right for the y-axis please let me know. I have been using coulombs law of f=k(q1q2/r^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
nateastle said:
I believe this is the right place for this question. I am strugling with getting this homework problem setup. The question is:

A charge q1 = -3 nc is placed at the origin of an xy-cordinate system, and a charge q2=2.00nC is placed on the positive y Axis at y=4cm. If a third charge q3 =4nC is now placed at point x=3 cm, y=4cm, find the x and y componets of the total force exerted on this charge by the other two.

I have setup my grid and figured out the force on the y Axis is -3.45 X 10^-5 (or at least I hope that is correct) but I am having problems figuring out how to setup the problem to get the force on the x axis. If I didn't calculate the force right for the y-axis please let me know. I have been using coulombs law of f=k(q1q2/r^2)
Your answer for the force on the y-axis is correct, in Newtons. The force in the +x direction is the force between charge 2 and 3 less the x component of the force between 1 and 3 (which is in the - x direction). I get about 5.4 x 10-5 N. in the + x direction.

AM

thank you for the help.

Related to How Do You Calculate the X Component of Force in Coulomb's Law?

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law used in real life?

Coulomb's Law is used in many real-life applications, such as in the design of electronic devices like computers and smartphones, the operation of electrical circuits, and the behavior of atoms and molecules.

3. What is the formula for Coulomb's Law?

The formula for Coulomb's Law is F = k(q1q2) / r2, where F is the force between two charged particles, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, r is the distance between them, and k is a constant equal to 8.99 x 109 Nm2/C2.

4. How does distance affect the force between two charged particles?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force between them decreases.

5. What are the units for the constant k in Coulomb's Law?

The units for the constant k in Coulomb's Law are Nm2/C2, which can also be written as m3kg-1s-2. These units represent the force per unit charge squared.