Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need help with electric field/potential problem

1. Feb 7, 2008 #1
    The problem is defined below:

The electric field on the surface of an irregularly shaped conductor varies from 56 kn/c to 28 kn/c. calculate the local surface charge density at the point on the surface where the radius of curvature of the surface is (a) greatest and (b) smallest.

Attempt at a solution:

Yet to start, b/c don't understand any further steps with such little information

Extra question:

If they only give us 2 numbers of an irregularly shaped object, how are we supposed to manipulate these numbers to find the local surface charge density?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

There is a formula connecting E immediately outside the surface of a conductor and sigma (surface charge density). You also should know where the sigma is higher, that is, at points of low or high curvature.

4. Feb 10, 2008 #3
    thank you for the help, i eventually figured it out because you gave me the general basis that i needed to understand how to answer the problem

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook