1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with electric field/potential problem

1. Feb 7, 2008 #1
    The problem is defined below:

The electric field on the surface of an irregularly shaped conductor varies from 56 kn/c to 28 kn/c. calculate the local surface charge density at the point on the surface where the radius of curvature of the surface is (a) greatest and (b) smallest.

Attempt at a solution:

Yet to start, b/c don't understand any further steps with such little information

Extra question:

If they only give us 2 numbers of an irregularly shaped object, how are we supposed to manipulate these numbers to find the local surface charge density?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

There is a formula connecting E immediately outside the surface of a conductor and sigma (surface charge density). You also should know where the sigma is higher, that is, at points of low or high curvature.

4. Feb 10, 2008 #3
    thank you for the help, i eventually figured it out because you gave me the general basis that i needed to understand how to answer the problem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?