Need Help with Finding a Mechanism to Connect Two Axles

• Thread starter CookiesNCream
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary, the author is trying to connect two spinning axles in a vacuum environment. They have run into a wall and are looking for a mechanism to quickly connect the axles when they are aligned. There are several possible solutions, but they all have individual problems.
CookiesNCream
Hi Everyone!

I have ran into a wall in my design. I need connecting two spinning axles in a vacuum environment. The bottom axle is attached to a motor and the top axle is attached to a moving box. Is there a mechanism that can quickly quickly connect the axles when the axles are aligned? If the axles are perpendicular to the X and Y plane, the only motion available is in the Z direction. There can be no movement of each axle when attaching. After attaching, the axles must rotate together with an extremely high tolerance and be able to disconnect and connect quickly through a Z direction movement.

My solutions right now are but they all have individual problems.

A magnetic connection.

A high precision sensor alignment with a locking mechanism.

Thanks in advanced!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know the details of your arrangement, but:
If the axles are offset (not coaxial), tapered (smooth) cones will allow engagement/disengagement with Z travel. At least 1 of the cones would have some compliance (hard rubber...). I don't know your speed/torque/space available - just a thought.

I have trouble visualizing your geometry. You say top and bottom axles. Do you mean co-axial? A keyway with key is the traditional way to lock two co-axial axles.

Welcome to PF.
If the axles must lock together in the angular position they first contact, without any rotation, then you should consider two mating tapers such as morse machine tapers. They come in several sizes, male and female for holding or adapting machine tooling. Some male tapers have a tang to prevent rotation that would need to be removed. You could grind a taper on one shaft and ream a socket in the other, or you could buy adaptors. A paper sleeve would increase friction. There is probably no requirement that the tapers be made from steel. Low angle tapers are self locking while wider angle tapers release easily. The critical angle that decides the boundary between self locking and self releasing tapers is the arctangent of the coefficient of friction between the mating surfaces.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_taper

Alternatively you could have two disks that align and contact face to face. One would be covered with sandpaper, the other with a coil or peripheral ring of silicon tube that distorts slightly to maintain positive contact with the grit during rotation.

1. How do I find a mechanism to connect two axles?

There are several ways to find a mechanism to connect two axles. One option is to consult engineering design resources or textbooks for examples of common mechanisms used for this purpose. Another option is to search online for tutorials or videos that demonstrate different mechanisms. Additionally, you can consult with other engineers or experts in the field for their recommendations.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a mechanism to connect two axles?

When choosing a mechanism to connect two axles, it is important to consider the intended use of the mechanism, the load and torque requirements, the available space and materials, and the desired level of precision and efficiency. It is also important to consider the cost and complexity of the mechanism, as well as any potential maintenance or durability issues.

3. Can I design my own mechanism to connect two axles?

Yes, it is possible to design your own mechanism to connect two axles. However, this requires a thorough understanding of mechanical principles and engineering design principles. It is recommended to consult with experienced engineers or experts in the field to ensure the safety and effectiveness of your design.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when selecting a mechanism to connect two axles?

Some common mistakes to avoid when selecting a mechanism to connect two axles include choosing a mechanism that is not suitable for the intended use or load requirements, neglecting to consider the available space and materials, and failing to properly account for the necessary precision and efficiency. It is also important to avoid choosing a mechanism that is overly complex or expensive for the given application.

5. How can I test the effectiveness of a mechanism for connecting two axles?

The most effective way to test the effectiveness of a mechanism for connecting two axles is to conduct a physical prototype test. This involves building a small-scale model of the mechanism and subjecting it to various load and torque conditions to determine its performance. It is also important to conduct thorough calculations and simulations to ensure the mechanism can handle the desired load and torque requirements before conducting physical tests.