How Much Mass Must Be Thrown Out for a Hot Air Balloon to Ascend Properly?

In summary: What would happen if the passenger threw out x more items? If the passenger threw out x more items, then the new total mass of the balloon would be smaller. xM would be replaced by xM+xM. So the upward lift force would be (xM+xM)g.
Swatch
Hi.
There is a hot air balloon with total mass M. There is an upward lift force of 2Mg/3 but the balloon is accelerating downward at a rate of g/3. The passenger needs to make the balloon lighter and starts throwing things of. What fraction of the total weight must he drop overboard so that the balloon accelerates upward at a rate of g/2.

I come up with the fact that the upward lift force must equal the weight plus the acceleration. But I get a wrong answear. The correct answear is 5/9. Can someone give me a hint to this problem please.

Physics news on Phys.org
dont worry trying a new idea

Have been trying all possible ways with the facts I have, have not been able to come up with the right answear.

Show your work and we can take a look.

Here are a few hints: The upward buoyant force (2Mg/3) will remain the same even after the passenger throws things out of the balloon. After the passenger tosses out some stuff, the new total mass of the balloon will be smaller. Call it "xM" (where x is some fraction). Now write Newton's 2nd law and solve for x.

OK. I tried solving for x and this is what I got.

2Mg/3=(M-xM)g + (M-xM)g/2 The upward force should be equal to the weight + acceleration.

So this should be:

2Mg/3 = (M-xM)3g/2
4Mg/3 = 3Mg - 3xMg
(4Mg/3) - 3Mg = -3xMg

or 5Mg = 9xMg or x=5/9

This is the right answear, so I guess this is one way of solving this.

In my former calculations I forgot to express the total mass as (M-xM) I just put xM. Guess that was the big mistake I did.

Thanks for the hint

Swatch said:
OK. I tried solving for x and this is what I got.

2Mg/3=(M-xM)g + (M-xM)g/2 The upward force should be equal to the weight + acceleration.
Better to say it this way: The net force equals the mass x acceleration, and the net force equals the buoyant force minus the weight.

You used "xM" to represent the amount of mass tossed out. Good.

What is a hot air balloon?

A hot air balloon is a type of aircraft that uses heated air to generate lift and travel through the sky. It consists of a large fabric balloon filled with hot air, which is controlled by a burner and pilot.

How does a hot air balloon work?

A hot air balloon works by using the basic principles of physics. The heated air inside the balloon is less dense than the cool air outside, causing it to rise and lift the balloon off the ground. The pilot can control the altitude by adjusting the temperature of the air inside the balloon.

What are the main components of a hot air balloon?

The main components of a hot air balloon include the envelope (the fabric balloon), the basket, the burner, and the fuel tanks. The envelope is the most important part, as it holds the heated air that provides lift. The basket is where the pilot and passengers stand, and the burner is used to heat the air inside the envelope.

What are the safety precautions for hot air balloon flights?

Safety is of utmost importance when it comes to hot air balloon flights. Before takeoff, the pilot will conduct a thorough safety check of all equipment. Passengers will also be given a safety briefing and instructed on how to properly enter and exit the basket. The pilot will also monitor weather conditions and may cancel or postpone the flight if necessary.

What are the benefits of using a hot air balloon?

Hot air balloons offer a unique and thrilling experience for those who ride in them. They also provide a peaceful and serene way to view the landscape from above. Additionally, hot air balloons are environmentally friendly and use minimal fuel compared to other aircraft.