Need help with Logistical Derivative Problem

• Thread starter goatrance
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the student is trying to solve for the second derivative of the logistical regression model, but is having difficulty. They have plugged in their equations and gotten a result of 1.84e^-.054x/(1+ae^-.054x)^2. However, they are not sure what to do next.
goatrance

Homework Statement

-5.978(1+5.71e^-.054x)/1+5.71e^-.054x

logistical regression values from ti 83

a=5.71
b=.054
c=5.978

Homework Equations

general logistical regresion model g(x) c/1+ae^-bx

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have applied the quotient rule to find the derivative of the general logistical model and come out to

(1+ae^-bx)-c(1+ae^-bx)/(1+ae^-bx)^2

I took derivate and factored a little and came to this

-c(1+ae^-bx)/1+ae^-bx

At this point I just factored in the logistical information from my ti 83 which is

a=5.71
b=.054
c= 5.978

I really need help factoring the numerator of this problem, and from there finding the 2nd derivative. I know at some point I must take natural log to both side of the equation to find the point of inflection. Please help me with this!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the actual question here?

From what I can gather you've tried to differentiate [tex]\frac{c}{1+ae^{-bx}}[/tex]. IF that's what you've done, then you've done it incorrectly. You don't really need the quotient rule for this; write the expression as [tex]c(1+ae^{-bx})^{-1}[/tex] and differentiate via the chain rule to give [tex]-c(1+ae^{-bx})^{-2}\cdot -abe^{-bx}=abce^{-bx}(1+ae^{-bx})^{-2}[/tex]

As for where to go from here, I can't advise, as I don't know what you're trying to do!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot cristo. Basicaly I need help factoring this

-5.978(1+5.71e^-.054x)/1+5.71e^-.054x

so I can find the second derivative

Please do not double (or triple) post. Read Cristo's post. You have not got the 1st derivitive correct so the expression you are trying to factor is meaningless.

Yes, I must have read it incorectly. Pluging in I now get

5.71(.054)5.978e^-.054x(1+5.71e^-.054x)^-2

Can someone help me out with this. Sorry for being so progressive.

If I were you, I'd leave the constants as letters and then plug them in later (they're not going to change through differentiation). So, you want to differentiate [tex]\frac{abce^{-bx}}{(1+ae^{-bx})^2}[/tex]. To do this you will need the quotient rule. Recall that it says the derivative of a quotient is [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{u}{v}\right)=\frac{vu'-uv'}{v^2}[/tex], where the primes denote differetiation wrt x.

In your question, take [itex] u=abce^{-bx}, \text{and} \;\;\;v=(1+ae^{-bx})^2[/itex]. Have a go and post your efforts and we'll point you in the right direction.

I don't recognize some of the characters/symbols u are using. I don't think I am there yet. but pluging in my equations i get 1.84e^-.054x/(1+ae^-.054x)^2 . I think the e symbol is what is throwing me off a little.

goatrance said:
I don't recognize some of the characters/symbols u are using. I don't think I am there yet. but pluging in my equations i get 1.84e^-.054x/(1+ae^-.054x)^2 . I think the e symbol is what is throwing me off a little.

e is the exponential function-- you used it in your original post, and I would take that as assumed knowledge for a calculus course.

Recall: [tex]\frac{d}{dx}e^{Ax}=Ae^{Ax}[/tex] where A is any constant.

but pluging in my equations i get 1.84e^-.054x/(1+ae^-.054x)^2
I don't know what you've done here. Show some working that I can follow!

Related to Need help with Logistical Derivative Problem

1. What is a logistical derivative problem?

A logistical derivative problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate at which a quantity changes over time, taking into account various factors such as constraints and limitations. It is often used in the field of logistics to optimize processes and improve efficiency.

2. How do you solve a logistical derivative problem?

To solve a logistical derivative problem, you first need to identify all the relevant variables and constraints. Then, you can use mathematical techniques such as differentiation and optimization to find the optimal solution.

3. What are some real-world applications of logistical derivative problems?

Logistical derivative problems have many applications in various industries, including supply chain management, transportation, and manufacturing. They can be used to optimize inventory levels, plan efficient routes for delivery trucks, and determine the best production schedule for a factory.

4. What skills are needed to excel at solving logistical derivative problems?

Solving logistical derivative problems requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts such as calculus and optimization. It also requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to identify the most relevant variables and constraints in a real-world scenario.

5. Are there any software tools available to help with logistical derivative problems?

Yes, there are many software tools available that can assist with solving logistical derivative problems, such as Excel, MATLAB, and various optimization software. These tools can handle complex calculations and provide visualizations to aid in understanding the problem and its solution.