How Can I Create an Adjustable Optical Switch Circuit for an Inductive Load?

In summary: Alternatively, you could use a 555 timer IC with a 10-15 millisecond delay, to hold the relay switch on for a few seconds after the light is turned off.
ashankan
i'm trying to make an optical switch circuit.
i'm no expert on electronics, so i was hoping you people could give me a helping hand:)
in advance, thank you very much:)

the purpose of the circuit is to switch an inductive load such as a relay.
when the light is blocked i need the relay to be switched on.
the optical circuit needs a 5vdc supply, and the the relay will be powered by a regulated psu 3-7vdc.
the relay will have a resistance about 3-4ohms.
i also need to keep the switch that turns on the relay open some micro seconds(about 0-0,03seconds) after the light has been cut.
i was thinking that i could hold the switching transistor open with a capacitator and a potentiometer
to regulate how long it would stay open after the light have been cut.

i have looked at this circuit:
http://www.circuit-finder.com/categories/sensor/light-sensor/331/simple-optical-switch

i could use that one, just need to have a adjustable circuit that holds the switching transistor open some micro seconds.
it says 9volt, but the lm555 operates fine with 5volt, so the circuit should work fine with that?
can anybody give me a tipp to how i could make the adjustable switch?
would it be possible to just drop the lm555 chip and hock the switching transistor directly on to the opto switch?
if i could keep the circuit as simpel as possible it would be the best.

so i was thinking that i could just have an opto switch which turns the switching transistor on\off,
and a regulation on the transistor switch which holds it open for some micro seconds.

this is the parts i was thinking of using for the opto switch:
optical transistor: vishay BPW17N, http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0de2/0900766b80de2cc1.pdf
IR-diode: vishay CQY37N, http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0e22/0900766b80e22c70.pdf

i'm not sure which transistor i should use for the relay switch.

i'm not asking you people to do the work for me.
if you could just give me some advice on what i should check out to figure this circuit out, that would be fine.
then i will draw the circuit and post it. then you could say if it's fine, or point out faults or improvements.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, you could probably dispense with the 555 and just run your switching transistor from the opto-diode, assuming the light is bright enough to keep the opto-diode's voltage below the switching threshold of your power transistor. You can help that out by using a "darlington" NPN transistor as the switch, something like the TIP 111 or pretty much anything that will handle the power you need.

The 555 has the advantage to "debouncing" so your switch doesn't go on'n'off a bunch of times as the light is interrupted, and it allows you to set a minimum time for how long it is on. You could use a capacitor across the opto-diode for similar effect.

I'd say get some general-purpose-whatever-you-can-find components and breadboard the thing to see what you get.

thank you.

how would i go about setting the minimum time?
i'm going to buy some parts soon. just need to find out exactly what i need.

the diode and opto-transistor will be completely covered. there won't be any leakage of IR-light. do you still think it would go on'n'off?

but maybe i should go for the lm555 circuit, then i can try other circuits later.

the thing i was wondering about was if i could put a capacitor on the base of the transistor-switch, so that when the power to the base was cut, the discharge from the capacitor would hold the switch open about 0,03 seconds.
and if i put a potentiometer between the capacitor, base, and ground i could adjust the leakage to base, and ground.
could that work?

Try out the capacitor idea... bigger capacitor, longer decay time.

Related to How Can I Create an Adjustable Optical Switch Circuit for an Inductive Load?

1. What is an opto switch circuit?

An opto switch circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses an opto-coupler, which is a combination of an LED and a photosensitive transistor, to transfer electrical signals between two isolated circuits. It allows for electrical isolation and protection in sensitive applications.

2. How does an opto switch circuit work?

An opto switch circuit works by using an LED to emit light, which is then detected by a photosensitive transistor on the other side of the opto-coupler. This causes the transistor to turn on and off, allowing for the transfer of electrical signals between the two circuits without any direct electrical connection.

3. What are the benefits of using an opto switch circuit?

The main benefits of using an opto switch circuit include electrical isolation, protection against voltage spikes and surges, and improved noise immunity. It also allows for the integration of different types of circuits and components, as well as the ability to control high voltage or high current devices without the risk of damaging sensitive components.

4. What are some common applications of opto switch circuits?

Opto switch circuits can be found in a variety of applications, including industrial controls, power supplies, digital logic circuits, and telecommunications equipment. They are also commonly used in medical equipment, audio equipment, and automotive electronics.

5. How do I troubleshoot and repair an opto switch circuit?

If you are experiencing issues with an opto switch circuit, the first step is to check for any loose connections or damaged components. You can also use a multimeter to test the LED and transistor for continuity and proper function. If necessary, you can replace any faulty components or consult a professional for further assistance.