What Are the Current Challenges in Scaling Down Microelectronics?

In summary, the conversation is about a freshman in Electrical Engineering seeking help with finding appropriate reference materials for a project on the limitations of microelectronics at the nano and pico scale. Suggestions are made for potential sources, including a book and a magazine. The issue of becoming a member of IEEE for access to resources is also mentioned.
hikaru1221
I posted this thread in the Engineering forum, but haven't got any reply back yet. This topic is somewhat science-related, so I guess someone in this forum may give me some helps. Thanks.

I'm freshman in Electrical Engineering. I'm going to do a project on a major challenge in electrical engineering nowadays. I intend to discuss the limit of microelectronics at micro-scale and so the challenge is to go deeper into lower scale, i.e. nano and pico scale (pico-scale is quite too far?!). However, I'm stuck with finding appropriate reference materials, as I'm new in the field. Can someone kindly give me some sources or enlighten me with this issue (in case I misconceive something)? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to google nanoelectronics.

ehild

Thank you ehild :smile:

I do not know, but this book might be of some use for you Nanoelectronic Circuits: From Nanoscience to Engineering Design, by Árpád Csurgay.

ehild

IEEE Spectrum magazine can be a good source. The magazine discusses issues and potential solutions involving microelectronics fairly regularly, among many other topics.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/"

Also if you wish to become a member of IEEE, I think you get a student discount. (And you'll get a subscription to Spectrum as part of it.)

http://www.ieee.org/index.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
@ehild: Thanks. I'll try looking for the book. It seems that my university's library doesn't have that one :uhh:
@collinsmark: Thank you :smile:

1. What is the first step in completing a project on electronics?

The first step in completing a project on electronics is to clearly define the project goal and scope. This will help you determine the necessary components and procedures to achieve the desired outcome.

2. How do I choose the right components for my electronics project?

To choose the right components for your project, you should consider the specifications and requirements of your project. Research different options and compare them based on factors such as cost, functionality, and compatibility.

3. How do I troubleshoot issues with my electronics project?

To troubleshoot issues with your electronics project, start by checking all connections and wiring to ensure they are secure and in the correct placement. Use a multimeter to test for continuity and voltage. You can also refer to online resources or consult with an electronics expert for further guidance.

4. What precautions should I take when working with electronics?

When working with electronics, it is important to take safety precautions such as wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and disconnecting all power sources before handling any components. It is also crucial to follow proper wiring and soldering techniques to avoid potential hazards.

5. How can I improve my skills in electronics projects?

To improve your skills in electronics projects, you can attend workshops or classes, read books and online resources, and practice regularly. You can also collaborate with other electronics enthusiasts and learn from their experiences and techniques.