How Far Did Big Bertha's Shell Travel?

• Thread starter steelblondie5
  • Start date
In summary, during World War 1, the Germans used a gun called Big Bertha to shell Paris. The shell had an initial speed of 2.26 km/s at an initial inclination of 65.8 degrees to the horizontal. Using the equation Vf= Vi + a(tf-ti), with an acceleration of gravity of 9.8 m/s^2, the time of flight was calculated to be approximately 4.10 seconds. To find the distance traveled, the equation y= yi + vit + 1/2 at^2 was used with a final vertical displacement of 0 and an initial vertical velocity of 0. The distance was calculated to be approximately 9.28 km.
steelblondie5

Homework Statement

During World War 1, the Germans had a gun called Big Bertha that was used to shell Paris. The shell had an initial speed of 2.26 km/s at an initial inclination of 65.8 degrees to the horizontal. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. How far away did the shell hit? Answer in units of km.
How long was it in the air? Answer in units of s.

Homework Equations

Vf= Vi + a (tf-ti)
y= yi + vit + 1/2 at^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did it several different ways and keep getting answers that are wrong. I got 4.10 s for time, then I got .420s and .840 s. I keep getting the wrong answer. Once I figure out how to do time, I'll be able to do the distance part. Keep in mind the a is in meters per second but kilometers is required in the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which of the two eqns did you use to find the time of flight t? What values did substitute?

I would suggest approaching this problem by breaking it down into smaller steps and using the appropriate equations and units for each step. First, convert the initial speed of the shell from 2.26 km/s to m/s. This can be done by multiplying 2.26 km/s by 1000 to get 2260 m/s.

Next, use the given initial inclination of 65.8 degrees to find the initial vertical and horizontal components of the velocity using trigonometry. The initial vertical component would be 2260 m/s * sin(65.8) = 2034.8 m/s, and the initial horizontal component would be 2260 m/s * cos(65.8) = 1095.9 m/s.

Then, use the equation y = yi + vit + 1/2 at^2 to solve for the time (t) it takes for the shell to hit the ground. In this equation, yi represents the initial vertical position, vi represents the initial vertical velocity, and a represents the acceleration due to gravity. The initial vertical position is 0 since the shell is launched from ground level, the initial vertical velocity is 2034.8 m/s, and the acceleration due to gravity is -9.8 m/s^2 (since it is acting in the opposite direction of the initial velocity). Solving for t, we get t = 2034.8 m/s / 9.8 m/s^2 = 207.7 s.

Finally, convert the time from seconds to kilometers by multiplying 207.7 s by 0.001 km/s to get a distance of 0.2077 km. This is the distance the shell traveled horizontally before hitting the ground.

To find the total distance the shell traveled, we can use the equation Vf = Vi + a(tf - ti) and solve for the final horizontal velocity (Vf). The final horizontal velocity would be 1095.9 m/s (since there is no horizontal acceleration) and the final time (tf) would be the same as the time we calculated previously. Solving for the initial time (ti), we get ti = tf - Vf/a = 207.7 s - (1095.9 m/s / 9.8 m/s^2) = 95.2 s.

Now, we can use the equation x = xi + vit + 1/2 at

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They can be represented by arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

3. How are kinematics and vectors related?

Kinematics involves studying the motion of objects, which can be described using vectors. Vectors are used to represent the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object in kinematics.

4. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities have only magnitude, while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalar quantities include distance and speed, while examples of vector quantities include displacement and velocity.

5. How do you solve kinematics and vector problems?

To solve kinematics and vector problems, you need to first identify the known and unknown quantities and choose appropriate equations to use. Then, you can plug in the values and solve for the unknown quantity using algebraic manipulation.