Solving Integral ∫x/(x^2+2x+2) dx: Tips and Explanation | Math Homework Help

• Thread starter TheRedDevil18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
That's what you have done. You have added 2 and subtracted 2. You have "built" the 2x+2 in the numerator.
TheRedDevil18

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I need help on how to go about solving this integral

∫x/(x^2+2x+2) dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My math professor said something about "force the derivative of denominator to occur at top and compensate" but I have no idea what he means. Can somebody please help me, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the derivative of the denominator? Is it similar to the numerator?

SteamKing said:
What's the derivative of the denominator? Is it similar to the numerator?

It's 2x+2, do you mean I should use u substitution ?

I would start by completing the square in the denominator- [itex]x^2+ 2x+ 2= x^2+ 2x+ 1+ 1= (x+1)^2+ 1[/itex]
[tex]\int \frac{x}{x^2+ 2x+ 2} dx= \int \frac{x}{(x+ 1)^2+ 1} dx[/tex]

Now let u= x+ 1 so that du= dx and x= u- 1.

HallsofIvy said:
I would start by completing the square in the denominator- [itex]x^2+ 2x+ 2= x^2+ 2x+ 1+ 1= (x+1)^2+ 1[/itex]
[tex]\int \frac{x}{x^2+ 2x+ 2} dx= \int \frac{x}{(x+ 1)^2+ 1} dx[/tex]

Now let u= x+ 1 so that du= dx and x= u- 1.

Thanks, this is what I have tried, correct me if I'm wrong

by completing the square and u sub

∫(u-1)/(u^2+1) du

= ∫ u/(u^2+1) - ∫1/(u^2+1)

For the first integral I used a trig substitution, like this

u = tan(t)
du = sec(t)^2 dt

plugging back in I get,

∫(tan(t)*sec(t)^2)/(sec^2(t)) dt......tan(t)^2 + 1 = sec(t)^2

= ∫tan(t) dt
= ln |sec(t)|

Using the triangle thing, I get

ln|√u^2+1|

and, u = x+1, so plugging back in

ln|√(x+1)^2+1|

Final answer

ln|√(x+1)^2+1| - arctan(x+1) + C

Correct ?

TheRedDevil18 said:

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I need help on how to go about solving this integral

∫x/(x^2+2x+2) dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My math professor said something about "force the derivative of denominator to occur at top and compensate" but I have no idea what he means. Can somebody please help me, thanks

Here's what your prof was suggesting:$$
\int\frac x {x^2+2x+2}~dx = \frac 1 2 \int\frac {2x}{x^2+2x+2}~dx
=\frac 1 2 \int\frac{(2x+2)-2}{x^2+2x+2}~dx =\frac 1 2\int\frac{2x+2}{x^2+2x+2}~dx
-\int \frac 1 {x^2+2x+2}$$Now the first integral is set up for the natural u substitution and the second is ready to complete the square as others have suggested. Personally, I would just complete the square in the first place as Halls has suggested. Your prof's method is sometimes useful.

LCKurtz said:
Here's what your prof was suggesting:$$
\int\frac x {x^2+2x+2}~dx = \frac 1 2 \int\frac {2x}{x^2+2x+2}~dx
=\frac 1 2 \int\frac{(2x+2)-2}{x^2+2x+2}~dx =\frac 1 2\int\frac{2x+2}{x^2+2x+2}~dx
-\int \frac 1 {x^2+2x+2}$$Now the first integral is set up for the natural u substitution and the second is ready to complete the square as others have suggested. Personally, I would just complete the square in the first place as Halls has suggested. Your prof's method is sometimes useful.

Thanks, I'm a bit confused though

Where did the 1/2 come from ?

and, the derivative of x^2+2x+2 = 2x+2, so where did the 2x come from ?

the 1/2 is a "multiply by 1" thing. Multiply x by 2 and then the whole fraction (effectively the x again) by 1/2.

TheRedDevil18 said:
Thanks, I'm a bit confused though

Where did the 1/2 come from ?

and, the derivative of x^2+2x+2 = 2x+2, so where did the 2x come from ?

You are trying to build a ##2x+2## in the numerator so you start by writing ##x = \frac 1 2\cdot 2x##. Then you add and subtract ##2##. That's what your prof meant by forcing the derivative of the denominator into the numerator.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
the 1/2 is a "multiply by 1" thing. Multiply x by 2 and then the whole fraction (effectively the x again) by 1/2.

Oh, yes I see, but isn't that suppose to be 2x+2 (referring to integral with the 2x) as that's the derivative of the denominator ?

1. How do I solve this integral?

To solve an integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It is also important to identify the type of integral (definite or indefinite) and the appropriate limits of integration.

2. What are some tips for integrating difficult functions?

Some tips for integrating difficult functions include breaking the function into smaller parts, using trigonometric identities, and looking for patterns in the function. It is also helpful to practice and become familiar with different integration techniques.

3. Is it possible to solve this integral without using calculus?

In most cases, integrals cannot be solved without using calculus. However, there are some special functions such as polynomial, exponential, and logarithmic functions that have specific rules for integration that do not require calculus.

4. How can I check my answer for an integral?

You can check your answer for an integral by using a graphing calculator or online integral calculator. You can also take the derivative of your answer to see if it matches the original function.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals include forgetting to add the constant of integration, making errors in algebraic manipulations, and not following the correct order of operations. It is also important to be careful when evaluating limits of integration and to double-check your work for any potential mistakes.