Need microcontroller recommendation

In summary, the ultrasonic distance measurement project is difficult and requires a microcontroller with an analog comparator. It is possible to use a PIC, Atmel, or TI microcontroller, but the development kit for each is difficult to find and expensive.
Lagomorph
Hi,
I'm measuring distance using ultrasonic transducers. I will start timing, send a 40kHz pulse from the source and will return the pulse from the target (which will also contain a receiver and transmitter). I need a microcontroller with an analog comparator so that it will detect a certain threshold voltage and will be able to time the occurence of the high edge of the returning 40kHz square wave.

I know there are a ton of microcontrollers out there that can do this. The issue here is cost of the deveopment kit, ease of use and documentation/support/community. I'd really appreciate any input.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Normally I'd suggest the PIC uCs from Microchip. But on my last project, the softies did an example device and code using the Atmel AVRTiny13 in an 8-pin DIP package, and those little Tiny devices are cheap! Using the through-hole DIP package let's you wire up a prototype by hand pretty easily, and the debugger/programming cable arrangement is pretty inexpensive as well.

Check out this selection table to see if one of the TinyXX uCs has what you want, and then you can use findchips.com to see if it's easy to buy from Digikey or Mouser, etc.

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/param_table.asp?family_id=607&OrderBy=part_no&Direction=ASC

Thanks for the suggestion. Frankly, I've leaning toward TI just because they have an excellent website that is easy to search through and I feel like I'll know what I'm getting. They also have small student discounts on parts that aren't very expensive.

What do you think about this?
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/msp430f2131.html

The development kit for it is here:
http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/msp-fet430u14.html

Atmel and Freespace don't make it very easy to figure out what microcontroller to use. I'm very new at this, so ease is key. Have you used any TI uC's? Do you think that the Atmel ones are better in some way?

Lagomorph said:
Do you think that the Atmel ones are better in some way?

Not necessarily. Sounds like you've found a good fit.

For my Capstone project (4th year EE project) we ended up using a Motorola micro -- it was the one we learned in our class, and they had them in the department.

Bad move. The manual is confusing as hell (the instructions were clearly translated from Japanese to English by Babelfish or something). It was quite a struggle... :)

PIC's, Amtel, or TI all seem like good choices!

I've programmed some TI DSP's: great support from TI.

Their micros should be the same way.

You can't go wrong with TI.

Thanks for the reassurance. I guess I'll be ordering the kit then.

1. What is a microcontroller?

A microcontroller is a small computer on a single integrated circuit that is designed to control specific devices or systems. It contains a central processing unit (CPU), memory, and input/output peripherals, making it ideal for embedded systems and applications.

2. Why do I need a microcontroller?

Microcontrollers are commonly used in a variety of electronic devices and systems, such as home appliances, automobiles, medical devices, and industrial equipment. They provide the necessary computing power to control and monitor these devices, making them more efficient and user-friendly.

3. How do I choose the right microcontroller?

The best microcontroller for your project will depend on several factors, including the required processing power, memory, and input/output capabilities. You should also consider the programming language and development tools available for the microcontroller. It is recommended to do thorough research and consult with experts to find the most suitable option.

4. What are some top microcontroller recommendations?

Some popular microcontroller options include Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and PIC. Arduino is great for beginners and hobbyists, while Raspberry Pi offers more advanced features. PIC microcontrollers are commonly used in industrial applications. However, the best recommendation will ultimately depend on your specific project needs and budget.

5. How do I program a microcontroller?

Microcontrollers can be programmed using various languages, such as C, C++, and Assembly. The specific programming language will depend on the microcontroller you are using. Most microcontrollers come with development tools and software that can be used to write and upload code onto the device. There are also many online resources and tutorials available to help you learn how to program a microcontroller.