1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some background on SMTP

1. Aug 7, 2007 #1
    hey!just wondered if anyone knew anything about smtp stuff?! ive gotta do a peice of coursework for uni, and am completly stuck!dont even know how to begin! just message back if you reckon you can help, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2007 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi, silva. Why don't you post your questions here so folks can offer advice? We don't give help via messaging.

4. Aug 7, 2007 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

SMTP is a protocol for sending email.
    It consists of text command sent over a telnet session, google and wikipedia will give you some simple examples. As with all internet protocols the details are described in freely available documents called RFCs
    Steven's TCP illustrated descibes everything in great detail.

5. Aug 8, 2007 #4
    thanks! could you recommend any useful ways of getting started (quickly) writing smtp? thats what i now need to do!i need to get it to send and receive an email, with some text in it, which i have to include exactly! my friend suggested getting a book that explains about smtp! or are there any good websites? im so new to this kinda stuff in case you hadnt guessed!lol thanks for the help again!

6. Aug 8, 2007 #5
    SMTP is described in RFC 821. it will tell you everythng you need to know about the protocol. How you implement it is up to you.

7. Aug 8, 2007 #6
    thanks!that looks really useful!ill be a pro soon enough!lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?