Understanding SMTP: A Guide for University Coursework

• Thread starter silva
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about SMTP, a protocol for sending emails. The person is looking for help with their coursework and asks for advice on how to get started with writing SMTP. They are also recommended to read RFCs and a book on SMTP for more information. The conversation ends with the person feeling confident about becoming an expert on SMTP.
silva
hey!just wondered if anyone knew anything about smtp stuff?! I've got to do a piece of coursework for uni, and am completely stuck!dont even know how to begin! just message back if you reckon you can help, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, silva. Why don't you post your questions here so folks can offer advice? We don't give help via messaging.

SMTP is a protocol for sending email.
It consists of text command sent over a telnet session, google and wikipedia will give you some simple examples. As with all internet protocols the details are described in freely available documents called RFCs
Steven's TCP illustrated descibes everything in great detail.

thanks! could you recommend any useful ways of getting started (quickly) writing smtp? that's what i now need to do!i need to get it to send and receive an email, with some text in it, which i have to include exactly! my friend suggested getting a book that explains about smtp! or are there any good websites? I am so new to this kinda stuff in case you hadnt guessed!lol thanks for the help again!

SMTP is described in RFC 821. it will tell you everythng you need to know about the protocol. How you implement it is up to you.

thanks!that looks really useful!ill be a pro soon enough!lol

1. What is SMTP?

SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. It is a communication protocol used for sending and receiving emails over the internet. It is responsible for the transfer of email messages from a sender's email server to a recipient's email server.

2. How does SMTP work?

SMTP works by establishing a connection between the sender's email server and the recipient's email server. The sender's server sends the email message to the recipient's server, which then delivers the message to the recipient's email inbox.

3. What is the role of SMTP in email communication?

SMTP is essential for email communication as it ensures that emails are properly delivered to the intended recipient's inbox. It also allows for the transfer of emails between different email servers and enables the use of multiple email clients.

4. Are there any security concerns with using SMTP?

Yes, there are some security concerns with using SMTP. Since the protocol was designed in the early days of the internet, it does not have built-in encryption, making it vulnerable to hacking and interception of email messages. However, many email providers now use secure versions of SMTP, such as SMTPS or STARTTLS, to mitigate these security risks.

5. Is SMTP the only protocol used for sending emails?

No, SMTP is not the only protocol used for sending emails. There are other protocols such as IMAP and POP3, which are used for receiving emails from the server. However, SMTP is the primary protocol used for sending emails.