How Do You Calculate A at Vo1 and Vo2 in OP-AMP Circuits?

• Thread starter darwinharianto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Op-amp
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of A at Vo1 and Vo2 in a circuit with feedback. The first stage is affected by feedback from the final stage, making the initial guess for Vo1/Vin incorrect. The expression for the gain of the second stage is correct, but the equation relating Vo2 to Vo1 must also be taken into account. By writing a node equation at the input terminal of the first stage and substituting for Vo2 with the relationship Vo2 = 2Vo1, it is determined that Vo1 = -4/3 Vin and Vo2 = -8/3 Vin. The conversation ends with a thank you for the assistance.
darwinharianto
Homework Statement

http://puu.sh/8mUJ5.png
here is the image
the question is to find the A at Vo1 and Vo2

The attempt at a solution
I don't know how to calculate A at Vo1
but at Vo2, what I need to do is just
A= 1 + R/R
is that right?

At Vo1, what I think is only A= 4R/R
but is that right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
darwinharianto said:
Homework Statement

http://puu.sh/8mUJ5.png
here is the image
the question is to find the A at Vo1 and Vo2

The attempt at a solution
I don't know how to calculate A at Vo1
but at Vo2, what I need to do is just
A= 1 + R/R
is that right?

At Vo1, what I think is only A= 4R/R
but is that right?

Note that you've got feedback from the output of the final stage to the input of the first stage, so it's going to affect the gain of the overall circuit, including the first stage. So your guess about the gain of the first stage (Vo1/Vin) is not correct.

Your expression for the gain of the second stage looks good. Note that R/R is 1 no matter the value of R. So what then is the equation relating Vo2 to Vo1?

Can you write a node equation at the input terminal of the first stage?

Last edited by a moderator:
gneill said:
Note that you've got feedback from the output of the final stage to the input of the first stage, so it's going to affect the gain of the overall circuit, including the first stage. So your guess about the gain of the first stage (Vo1/Vin) is not correct.

Your expression for the gain of the second stage looks good. Note that R/R is 1 no matter the value of R. So what then is the equation relating Vo2 to Vo1?

Can you write a node equation at the input terminal of the first stage?
thx for reply

ok, so the Vo2 = 2Vo1 right?
then, for the Vo1, Vo2 affects the Vo1
is it what you mean?

so i put the node before the first amp
then the equation go like this?
Vin/R = Vo1/4R + Vo2/4R
so Vo1 + Vo2 = 4Vin
because Vo2=2Vo1, then 3Vo1 = 4Vin
the results is Vo1 = 4/3 Vin
and Vo2 = 2Vo1

is this right?

darwinharianto said:
thx for reply

ok, so the Vo2 = 2Vo1 right?
then, for the Vo1, Vo2 affects the Vo1
is it what you mean?
Yes.

so i put the node before the first amp
then the equation go like this?
Vin/R = Vo1/4R + Vo2/4R
so Vo1 + Vo2 = 4Vin
because Vo2=2Vo1, then 3Vo1 = 4Vin
the results is Vo1 = 4/3 Vin
and Vo2 = 2Vo1

is this right?

Be careful of the signs you assign to the currents when you write the node equation. If Vin/'R is the current flowing into the node then the other currents on the RHS of your equation should have signs that reflect that they are flowing out of the node.

Once you've written the node equation you can substitute for Vo2 with the relationship Vo2 = 2Vo1 that you found, and then solve for Vo1 (in terms of Vin).

gneill said:
Yes.

Be careful of the signs you assign to the currents when you write the node equation. If Vin/'R is the current flowing into the node then the other currents on the RHS of your equation should have signs that reflect that they are flowing out of the node.

Once you've written the node equation you can substitute for Vo2 with the relationship Vo2 = 2Vo1 that you found, and then solve for Vo1 (in terms of Vin).

thx for replying again

so, the equation go like this?
Vin/R = -Vo1/4R + -Vo2/4R
because Vo1 and Vo2 going backward
then -(Vo1 + Vo2) = 4Vin
and Vo1 = -4/3 Vin?
is it right??

darwinharianto said:
thx for replying again

so, the equation go like this?
Vin/R = -Vo1/4R + -Vo2/4R
because Vo1 and Vo2 going backward
then -(Vo1 + Vo2) = 4Vin
and Vo1 = -4/3 Vin?
is it right??

Looks good.

Likes 1 person
gneill said:
Looks good.

oic
thanks
so Vo2 is -8/3 Vin
and Vo1 is -4/3 Vin
thanks for your assistance :D

What is an OP-AMP?

An operational amplifier (OP-AMP) is an electronic device that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It has a high input impedance, low output impedance, and high gain, making it useful for a variety of applications in electronics.

What are some common problems encountered when using OP-AMPS?

Some common problems with OP-AMPS include input offset voltage, input bias current, and output saturation. These issues can lead to inaccurate or distorted output signals and can be addressed through proper circuit design and component selection.

How can I troubleshoot OP-AMP problems?

To troubleshoot OP-AMP problems, start by checking the power supply and ensuring it is within the specified range. Then, check for any loose connections or faulty components. You can also use a multimeter to measure the input and output voltages and compare them to the expected values.

How can I improve the performance of an OP-AMP circuit?

To improve the performance of an OP-AMP circuit, you can use external components such as capacitors and resistors to compensate for any input offset voltage or bias current. You can also use a feedback loop to stabilize the output and reduce noise.

What are some common applications of OP-AMPS?

OP-AMPS are commonly used in audio amplifiers, signal conditioning circuits, filters, and voltage regulators. They are also used in instrumentation and control systems, such as inverting and non-inverting amplifiers, integrators, and differentiators.