Need some info about light heat amplified by lens

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 1K views
anachin6000
Messages
50
Reaction score
3
It is known that a magnifing glass can start a fire, but I don't fully understand the phenomenon and I have the next questions:
- Does the effect depend on the shape and the material of the lens you use?
- Where can I find some details about heat produced by light or particulary on this phenomenon? (details that contain math support, of course)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It works by focusing the energy density of light over a large area into a much smaller area.
More energy density = higher temperature = fire.

The material that the lens is made of needs to be a transparent as possible since we don't want to heat up the lens itself.
The shape of the lens determines the focal distance - that is the distance from the lens at which the light will be maximally concentrated.
 
Last edited:
rootone said:
It works by focusing the energy density of a large area into a much smaller area.
More energy density = higher temperature = fire.
But does the lens parameters (refractive index, form, thickness) affect the quantity of energy that exits through the lens? I would try to study it experimentaly, but outside is snowing.
 
I edited my original reply to cover some of this, but to extend further ..
the shape of the lens and properties of the material mainly affect the focal distance.
A thicker more highly curved lens will result in a closer focal distance, but then more of the incoming energy will become dissipated by heating the thicker material - unless it is 100% transparent, and I don't think that such a material exists.
 
rootone said:
I edited my original reply to cover some of this, but to extend further ..
the shape of the lens and properties of the material mainly affect the focal distance.
A thicker more highly curved lens will result in a closer focal distance, but then more of the incoming energy will become dissipated by heating the thicker material - unless it is 100% transparent, and I don't think that such a material exists.
Thanks, it is more clear now. I will try to study the math involved.