1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some info about light heat amplified by lens

1. Mar 19, 2015 #1
    It is known that a magnifing glass can start a fire, but I don't fully understand the phenomenon and I have the next questions:
    - Does the effect depend on the shape and the material of the lens you use?
    - Where can I find some details about heat produced by light or particulary on this phenomenon? (details that contain math support, of course)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2015 #2
    It works by focusing the energy density of light over a large area into a much smaller area.
    More energy density = higher temperature = fire.

The material that the lens is made of needs to be a transparent as possible since we don't want to heat up the lens itself.
    The shape of the lens determines the focal distance - that is the distance from the lens at which the light will be maximally concentrated.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  4. Mar 19, 2015 #3
    But does the lens parameters (refractive index, form, thickness) affect the quantity of energy that exits through the lens? I would try to study it experimentaly, but outside is snowing.

5. Mar 19, 2015 #4
    I edited my original reply to cover some of this, but to extend further ..
    the shape of the lens and properties of the material mainly affect the focal distance.
    A thicker more highly curved lens will result in a closer focal distance, but then more of the incoming energy will become dissipated by heating the thicker material - unless it is 100% transparent, and I don't think that such a material exists.

6. Mar 19, 2015 #5
    Thanks, it is more clear now. I will try to study the math involved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook