Need Spin Wave Generator Circuit Design

In summary: It seems to me that spin wave devices are microscopic semiconductor structures with layer thickness measured in nm.It seems to me that spin wave devices are microscopic semiconductor structures with layer thickness measured in nm.
forex10
Hello,
I have found the technology of spintronics very interesting with a great potential for the (hopefully near) future & I am desiring to experiment with spin waves. I am sure there are several ways to create a spin wave or current, one of which involves placing a platinum strip at the end of a magnet. However since platinum is expensive I was wondering if there is a discrete circuit that could generate spin waves? Thanks for any help.
Joel

Engineering news on Phys.org
scottdave said:
Well i found this article (since i didnt know what a spin wave was till now).
https://www.uni-muenster.de/Physik.AP/Demokritov/en/Forschen/Forschungsschwerpunkte/mBECwasw.html
There were some more articles. It looks interesting. I need to do some reading.
That sounds suspiciously like the basis of MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging), which is based on NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance). In NMR, though, it is the Protons in the Nucleus that are precessing in a magnetic field.

[off topic, slightly]
Tom.G said:
... which is based on NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance).
In college, I worked in a lab where we studied spin-spin interactions. Samples were placed between the pole faces of a huge electromagnet with a microwave guide going into provide RF energy to bring the electron axis out of precession. NMR
[/end off topic]

Likes berkeman
dlgoff I wish I could find something like that. What I am going to try is to connect a platinum strip to a magnet, then when current is applied to the strip a spin wave comes out the other end of the magnet. A platinum ingot costs a huge amount of money, but a platinum strip is not so high of cost. It would be nice to have a visualization of this but if I can find a platinum strip I think I can manage it.

This is not a homework project & it is not my intent to apply this to an mpu or spin memory project. My aim is for more of a larger scale application like power or signaling. Also thanks for the responses & more would be welcome.

Joel

Where did you get the idea that platinum is required? The Wikipedia article says any metal will do.

forex10 said:
What I am going to try is to connect a platinum strip to a magnet, then when current is applied to the strip a spin wave comes out the other end of the magnet. A platinum ingot costs a huge amount of money, but a platinum strip is not so high of cost. It would be nice to have a visualization of this but if I can find a platinum strip I think I can manage it.
It seems to me that spin wave devices are microscopic semiconductor structures with layer thickness measured in nm. Where is there a reference to an expensive macroscopic lump of platinum being used experimentally ?

The biggest example I have seen involves large area Pt films with thickness = 15nm.
Here is an extract from ... Recent Advances in Magnetic Insulators, from Spintronics to Microwave Applications. Mingzhong Wu & Axel Hoffmann (Eds), 2013.
2.1.3 Electric Signal Transmission in Ferrimagnetic Insulator via Spin-Wave Spin Current. Page 8.
Figure 1.5 (a) A schematic illustration of the experimental setup. The sample is a 1.3-mm thick single-crystalline YIG (111) film on which two separate 15-nm thick Pt films (Pt (i) and Pt (o)) are attached. The surfaces of the YIG layer, the Pt-film (i), and the Pt-film (o) are 35 mm2, 27.5mm2, and 0.5 mm2 rectangle shapes, respectively. The distance between the voltage electrodes attached to the Pt-film(o) is 5 mm. (b) Voltage difference V between the ends of the Pt-film (o) as a function of the charge-current density Jc in the Pt-film (i) at H¼2.3 kOe, measured when the magnetic field was applied along the y¼0 or 180 direction.

anorlunda said:
Where did you get the idea that platinum is required? The Wikipedia article says any metal will do.
The first articles I came across all included either platinum or graphene as part of the method to produce spin waves . I now have found out there are at least several other, if not many materials to use.

1. What is a spin wave generator?

A spin wave generator is a device used to generate and manipulate spin waves, which are collective excitations of magnetic moments in a material. These waves can be used for various applications, such as data storage and processing in spintronics devices.

2. How does a spin wave generator work?

A spin wave generator typically consists of a magnetic material, such as a ferromagnet, and a means of generating a magnetic field, such as an electromagnet. The magnetic field creates a spin wave in the material, which can then be manipulated and detected using various techniques.

3. What are the key components of a spin wave generator circuit?

The key components of a spin wave generator circuit include a power source, a magnetic material, a magnetic field generator, and a detector. Other components may be included depending on the specific design and intended use of the circuit.

4. What are the challenges in designing a spin wave generator circuit?

One of the main challenges in designing a spin wave generator circuit is controlling and manipulating the spin waves in a precise and efficient manner. This requires careful selection of materials and design of the circuit to minimize energy losses and optimize the generation and detection of spin waves.

5. What are the potential applications of a spin wave generator?

A spin wave generator can be used for various applications in spintronics, such as data storage and processing, as well as in other fields such as quantum computing and magnonics. Spin wave generators can also be used for fundamental research in studying the properties of spin waves and magnetic materials.