Need to calculate power expended by the motor

• Engineering
  • Thread starter OZwurld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor Power
In summary, the motor specs say the vehicle has a continuous torque of 42 Nm (5.0 kW). The power used up to carry the vehicle is 20W. The slope of the slope is 3%. The surface of the slope is asphalt with rolling resistance of 0.22.
OZwurld

Homework Statement

i need to calculate the power used up to carry a vehicle with 433mm diameter wheels,mass of 163kg up a slope of 3%. The horizontal distance of the slope is 2.9km. The surface of the slope is asphalt with rolling resistance of 0.22

From the following motor specs:

Rated Power = 1800 W
Nominal Speed = 1060 RPM
Nominal speed= 111 rad/s
Nominal torque = 16.2 Nm
Nominal Torque = 16.2 Nm
Continuous Torque = 42 Nm (5.0 kW)

Homework Equations

P = Energy expended(E) / time (T);

where E = mgh*sin(α)

and T = height(H)/ average speed(Vavg);

The Attempt at a Solution

P = mgHsin(α)/ (H/Vavg)

-> The H cancels and are left with

P = mg*Vavg*sin(α)

→ One of the problems i have is i don't know how to find the average velocity but i think:

Nominal speed * radius = m/s

∴Vavg = 111*0.5*433mm = 24m/s

∴ P = 163*9.81*sin(3%)*24
= 20W

→ i am also not sure what to do about the rolling resistance but i think:

Rolling resistance Force(Frr = mg*rolling resistace(Crr))

Frr = 163*9.81*0.22
= 351N

And i know W = F*d

∴W = 351*2.5km = 877.5KJ

and i know P = w/t

and that t = d/s = 2.9Km/24m/s = 120.8s

∴P = W/t = 877.5KJ/120.8 = 7.26KW

Dont know if i should add or subtract from the previous power...

PLEASE HELP ANY1:cry:...

Thanks in advance:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
It will be simpler to use P = F X V (which is the same as E X d / t).

According to the problem, it seems the speed is constant, so what do you think the average speed is?

You do not calculate the angle of slope correctly. Grade (Slope) on Wikipedia

The force F you are trying to find is actually a summation of 2 forces: the resistance due to the slope and the resistance due to the rolling resistance. Do they add up or are they in opposite directions? Do they oppose the motion of the vehicle, or do they help propel the vehicle? Answering these questions will help you find out if you need to add them or substract one from the other.

Likes 1 person
@jack action thanks for your help:

1)I am assuming since you said all this forces are resistances then they should be "added" .

2)I didn't have to calculate the grade slope.. it was given as is , the car is going up a racing route with details given here [URL: http://www.mapmyride.com/za/sandton-gauteng/94-7-cycle-challenge-route-56201790] at the bottom of the page!

What is also worrying me is that the "hypotenuse" of this mountain is not really a straight-line like it would be in a conventional triangle... is the another to accommodate for this.. THANKS.

Last edited by a moderator:
OZwurld said:
1)I am assuming since you said all this forces are resistances then they should be "added" .

Yes

OZwurld said:
2)I didn't have to calculate the grade slope.. it was given as is , the car is going up a racing route with details given here [URL: http://www.mapmyride.com/za/sandton-gauteng/94-7-cycle-challenge-route-56201790] at the bottom of the page!

You've miss the point. Going back to the link I gave you, the angle of the slope is found with:

c9023169d6099ec637cab0bf42227400.png

So, your equation is:

sin α

Not:

sin(3%)

Although, for very small value of α, you can assume that sin α ≈ tan α ≈ α = %slope/100; But that is no what you did. You calculated sin(0.03) as if it was 0.03 deg, not 0.03 rad.

Another point: I don't know where that problem comes from, but the 0.22 rolling resistance coefficient is abnormally high for asphalt. It is a value more realistic for a wheel on sand. You can find some more realistic values for rolling resistance coefficient here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Thanks, one other thing though: on that wapsite there is both Friction Coefficient: 1.00 & Rolling Resistance Coefficient: 0.014,

How does the Friction Coefficient affect my vehicles motion, does it bring some kind of force?,...does it affect the power the motor uses up in this case!?

Thanks for everything...

@

"jack action"

What is power and why is it important to calculate the power expended by a motor?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is important to calculate the power expended by a motor to determine its efficiency and performance. This information can be used to optimize the motor's operation and make improvements if necessary.

How is power expended by a motor calculated?

Power expended by a motor can be calculated by multiplying the voltage applied to the motor by the current drawn by the motor. This formula is known as P = VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current.

What units are used to measure power?

Power can be measured in watts (W) or horsepower (hp). One horsepower is equal to 746 watts. In some cases, kilowatts (kW) may also be used to measure power.

What factors can affect the power expended by a motor?

The power expended by a motor can be affected by various factors such as the motor's design, operating voltage, load, and efficiency. Temperature, friction, and other external factors can also impact the power output of a motor.

Why is it important to consider the power expended by a motor in industrial applications?

In industrial applications, motors are often used to power heavy machinery and equipment. Knowing the power expended by a motor can help determine the appropriate motor size and type for a specific task, as well as estimate the cost of operating the motor. This information is crucial for efficient and cost-effective operation in industrial settings.