Need to know the name of this screw/joint on a wooden bed

• Thread starter sknth
  • Start date
In summary, Sreekanth is trying to disassemble a wooden bed and has run into a roadblock. He has attached pictures of the screw and the joint, and wants help identifying the name of the screw and how to remove it. The screws at the corners of the bed are at all four broken, and without removing them, he cannot proceed further. He has attached pictures of the screws and the joint to this post, and is asking for help with finding out what the name of the screw and how to remove it.
sknth
Hi All,

I'm currently trying to disassemble a wooden bed and have run into a roadblock. I've attached a picture I took from my smart phone of the joint and the screw, and I'd like some help with finding out what the name of this screw is, and how I can remove it.

These screws are at all 4 corners of the bed and without removing them, I cannot proceed further with dismantling the bed.

I've attached 2 pictures of the screws to this post.
bed1.png -- Here we can see what the screws look like on the triangle joint at the corner of the bed. 3 of the screws are fine, and one of them is broken. On the circle which is broken, we can see a smaller screw going into the headboard of the bed. What is the name of that screw and how do I get that out?

bed2.png -- This is a picture from another corner of the bed and we can see the 2 screws in the blue circles going into the base of the bed.

Looking forward to your responses!

Thanks
Sreekanth

Attachments

• bed1.PNG
    bed1.PNG
    87.9 KB · Views: 699
  • bed2.PNG
    bed2.PNG
    86.3 KB · Views: 582
Engineering news on Phys.org
With so little to go on I can only conjecture .

If they don't simply screw out and are not just very tight then they are possibly some variant of a camlock .

Nidum said:
With so little to go on I can only conjecture .

If they don't simply screw out and are not just very tight then they are possibly some variant of a camlock .
That circle is the size of the tip of my forefinger and so I'm not able to get it out of there. Any allen wrench type tools that can fit into that circle?

It's probably something like this. It requires a 1/4 turn to unlock it, but the thing you turn will stay in. It won't come out. It may have provisions for a flat screwdriver tip as well as a phillips.

866-497.jpg

Likes billy_joule and jim hardy
Q_Goest said:
It's probably something like this. It requires a 1/4 turn to unlock it, but the thing you turn will stay in. It won't come out. It may have provisions for a flat screwdriver tip as well as a phillips.
I think this is what it is. Unfortunately, it looks like the top cylindrical screw is broken in many of the slots. So that will make it a nightmare to remove the narrower, smaller screw that connects to it. Maybe I can try using a plier to pull it out?

Did the others come out ? Surely you know by now what they are.

You may be able to make yourself a tool
find an old worn out screwdriver and file it into a two-pronged fork .
Then you have what's known as a "spanner"
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1WmmBuvd4wCbPG4x8kU-3FcfaEEUo5ATAWb4S9Z4UNOCdBhY_.jpg

You might be able to turn it with that, by gently tapping sharpened points into the soft metal.
An email to the folks who manufactured the furniture, containing photos of the broken parts, will probably get a new camlock mailed to you.

In your second picture you can see a triangle embossed on the upper left camlock.
That triangle needs to point in the direction of the locking screw to unlock.
Then you need to either, pull the cam lock out or leave it there and pull the two mated pieces apart.
The latter is usually easier depending on the assembly.

If a cam lock is fubar from previous attempts and a large Phillips will no longer get any purchase then snap ring pliers ('reverse pliers') can work.
If all else fails you can destroy them in situ, most are cast junk metal and will crumble at the sight of some needle nose vise grips or sim.

Just give it a technical tap (use a hammer ) =)

Is there no access to the smaller screws on the other side maybe you have to unscrew them.

Thanks for your replies! I'll definitely try the spanner on the screws which don't have the cylindrical top.

Gaz said:
Is there no access to the smaller screws on the other side maybe you have to unscrew them.
interesting thought..
if one could be precise , he might drill through . A right handed drill from that side would unscrew the fastener, but a fellow would have to hit it almost dead center.
And he'd have to patch the hole afterward.

1. What is the name of the screw/joint used in a wooden bed?

The most common type of screw/joint used in a wooden bed is called a wood screw. It is a threaded fastener with a pointed end and a flat head, designed to be used in wood materials.

2. How do I identify the type of screw/joint used in my wooden bed?

To identify the type of screw/joint used in your wooden bed, you can look at the shape of the screw head. If it is flat, it is likely a wood screw. You can also try to unscrew it and see if it has coarse threading, which is another characteristic of a wood screw.

3. Can I use any type of screw/joint when repairing a wooden bed?

It is important to use the same type of screw/joint that was originally used in your wooden bed when making repairs. Using a different type of screw/joint may not provide the same level of stability and could potentially damage the wood.

4. Are there different sizes of wood screws for different wooden beds?

Yes, there are different sizes of wood screws available for different types of wooden beds. The size of the screw needed depends on the thickness and type of wood being used. It is important to choose the right size to ensure a secure and sturdy connection.

5. Can I replace a damaged wood screw with a different type of screw/joint?

Replacing a damaged wood screw with a different type of screw/joint is not recommended. As mentioned before, using a different type of screw/joint may not provide the same level of stability and could potentially damage the wood further. It is best to replace the damaged screw with the same type to ensure proper function and durability.