Can a background in computer science lead to a career in astronomy or physics?

In summary, the person is currently in a mid-life crisis and is considering transferring from Open University to Birkbeck University of London for evening classes. They are torn between two courses, Computing and Planetary Science with Astronomy, and are also considering skipping the undergrad route and applying for a Masters program in Data Science or Computer Science. Their current interests include Astronomy, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, and Gaming, and their skills include Cloud Computing, Scripting, Windows/Linux, Full Stack, and python. They have a dream of working in the fields of Astronomy, Physics, and technology at companies like ESA, ESO, Google, Improbable, SpaceX, and NASA. However, they are aware of the challenges in finding a job in the Astronomy
RedRum69
Good Day, all!

Currently having a semi-half-mid-life crisis xD

I am currently enrolled at the Open University (UK) nearly finished with first year (120credits), though this is distance learning and I would prefer to go to Birkbeck University of London which will be evening classes. Now, comes the dilemma that I have pulling my hair out and causing sleepless nights.

I am currently on a physics/mathematics course at the Open uni, and currently torn between 2 courses at Birkbeck when I transfer this September.

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2018/undergraduate/programmes/UBSCOMPG_C/ COMPUTING (BSC): PART-TIME/FULL-TIME

OR

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2018/undergraduate/programmes/UBSPSAST_C/ PLANETARY SCIENCE WITH ASTRONOMY (BSC): PART-TIME/FULL-TIME

But an interesting point is, I could potentially be able to attend a Masters Program and skip the whole Undergrad route.

The MSc courses I am interested in that I could possibly attend:
Data Science - http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2018/postgraduate/programmes/TMSDATSC_C/
Computer Science - http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2018/postgraduate/programmes/TMSCOSCI_C/

------------------------------------------------------------
Should I apply for both the Masters and skip the undergrad route?
Would Going A computer Science Route get me into an Astronomy/Physics career or PhD?

------------------------------------------------------------

My current interests are:
Astronomy, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Gaming,

My current skills:
Cloud Computing, Scripting, Windows/Linux, Full Stack, python - Currently working for Rackspace as a Systems Administrator and getting exposure to AWS and Google Cloud technologies.

Dream Career areas/Companies:
Astronomy, Physics, ESA, ESO, Google, Improbable, SpaceX, NASA, Robotics, AI, Blockchain

Thanks for anyone taking the time reading this :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Mid-life as in living the forties or later?

You are being torn between two divergent fields. The problem with the Astronomy field is the lack of jobs relative to the people interested in working in it. When I graduated in the 1970's I was told that 1 in 10 Astronomy majors ever got a job in Astronomy. I don't think that has changed much. This website shows some US stats circa 2014:

http://www.careeroutlook.us/career.php?id=192011&st=USA

With your experience in computer technology then your question is really one of interest and passion vs practicality. Astronomy is your dream but computer tech is practical. Putting them together to do computer analysis of astronomical data would be something you could pursue but as the stats note you need a PhD to compete with others in the field.

So flip a coin and decide go with your passion or suffer through computer tech. Not an easy choice and one made more difficult if you have a family.

Personally I'd go with passion but realize I still need a day job to live until I found what I was looking for. In the end though, Astronomy may have to be a hobby that you pursue.

1. What does "Need to see the light XD" mean?

The phrase "Need to see the light XD" is a colloquial expression that means someone wants to understand or gain clarity on a particular topic or situation.

2. Is "Need to see the light XD" a scientific term?

No, "Need to see the light XD" is not a scientific term. It is a casual phrase used in everyday conversation.

3. What is the origin of the phrase "Need to see the light XD"?

The exact origin of the phrase is unknown, but it is believed to have originated from the idiom "to see the light" which means to understand something.

4. How is "Need to see the light XD" used in scientific research?

The phrase is not commonly used in scientific research as it is more of a casual expression. However, it could be used in informal discussions or presentations to express a desire to gain more understanding on a topic.

5. Can "Need to see the light XD" be interpreted in a literal sense?

No, the phrase should not be interpreted literally. It is a figurative expression that conveys a desire for clarity or understanding.