1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nested interval theorem for R^n

1. May 2, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I am trying to prove the nested interval theorem for R^n. It is stated as follows:

Let (K_i : i in N) be a decreasing sequence of bounded closed sets in R^n and each K_i is non empty. Then the intersection of all K_i for i in N is not empty.

This is what I have so far:

Since K_i is nonempty, there exists a p_i in K_i for i in N. Pick these points to form the sequence (p_i : i in N). Because (p_i : i in N) is bounded, it has at least one convergent subsequence by the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem.

I want to claim that the limit point of this subsequence is in the intersection of all K_i. But I am having trouble formalizing this part of the argument. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2005 #2
    The key is these sets are nested. So [tex]p_i \in K_i \subset K_{i-1} \subset K_{i-2} \subset \ldots \subset K_1[/tex]

So for [tex]j\ge i[/tex], [tex]p_j \in K_i[/tex]. So the tail of the convergent subsequence is in [tex]K_i[/tex]. So the limit in is [tex]K_i[/tex] since it is closed. Since this is true for an arbitrary i it is true for all i. So the limit is in all of the [tex]K_i[/tex]'s so it is in the intersection.

Hope that helps,
    Steven

4. May 2, 2005 #3
    Excellent, many thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?