Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nested interval theorem for R^n

1. May 2, 2005 #1

I am trying to prove the nested interval theorem for R^n. It is stated as follows:

Let (K_i : i in N) be a decreasing sequence of bounded closed sets in R^n and each K_i is non empty. Then the intersection of all K_i for i in N is not empty.

This is what I have so far:

Since K_i is nonempty, there exists a p_i in K_i for i in N. Pick these points to form the sequence (p_i : i in N). Because (p_i : i in N) is bounded, it has at least one convergent subsequence by the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem.

I want to claim that the limit point of this subsequence is in the intersection of all K_i. But I am having trouble formalizing this part of the argument. Any help?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2005 #2
    The key is these sets are nested. So [tex]p_i \in K_i \subset K_{i-1} \subset K_{i-2} \subset \ldots \subset K_1[/tex]

So for [tex]j\ge i[/tex], [tex]p_j \in K_i[/tex]. So the tail of the convergent subsequence is in [tex]K_i[/tex]. So the limit in is [tex]K_i[/tex] since it is closed. Since this is true for an arbitrary i it is true for all i. So the limit is in all of the [tex]K_i[/tex]'s so it is in the intersection.

Hope that helps,
  4. May 2, 2005 #3
    Excellent, many thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?