Net Force & Direction Calculation - Homework Solution

• Thread starter insanitey1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Net
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the net force and direction on a red object after 1.00 s, given screen shots. The user suggests using a vector equation for force with time as the dependent variable, and potentially working in center of mass coordinates. The idea of using basic trigonometry to find the angle and combine the forces is also mentioned.
insanitey1

Homework Statement

Given the screen shots I am to calculate net force, Fc and direction, on the red object after 1.00 s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

after doing using basic distance formula to calculate r I got a Force for the blue and red at 4.69x10^-3N and Force of the green and red at 9.04X10^-3N. I think i need to calculate Theta next but I am not sure any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• initial.png
    initial.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 376
  • after 1s.png
    after 1s.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
I would think you need a vector equation for force with time as the dependent variable. Is the second picture a given or is it your work? From the initial picture, all three charges should move (else why specify all three masses?), but the second picture only shows one charge moving.

If the 2nd pic is a given, then I'd figure the x and y distances for each, apply the inverse square law to each and add up the x and y forces separately, then combine the components using a rectangular to polar conversion to get an angle and a force.

Perhaps working in center of mass coordinates might be easier if all charges are actually moving away from each other rather than having 2 fixed.

Yes the second one is a given. I was going to use basic trig and find the angle and that F+F and incorporate the angle does this sound right?

1. What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is calculated by adding all the individual forces acting on the object together.

2. How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you first need to identify all the individual forces acting on the object. Then, using vector addition, you can add the forces together to determine the net force. This is typically done using a force diagram or free body diagram.

3. What is the difference between net force and direction?

Net force refers to the overall force acting on an object, while direction refers to the path or orientation of the force. Net force takes into account both the magnitude and direction of all the individual forces acting on an object.

4. Can net force and direction be negative?

Yes, net force and direction can be negative. A negative net force indicates that the forces acting on an object are in opposite directions, while a negative direction indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the chosen reference point.

5. How does net force affect an object's motion?

According to Newton's second law, the net force acting on an object is directly proportional to its acceleration. This means that a larger net force will result in a greater acceleration, while a smaller net force will result in a smaller acceleration. Additionally, the direction of the net force will determine the direction of the object's acceleration.