What is the Net Force on an Angled Surface in a Limited Force Scenario?

In summary, the conversation discusses a drawing depicting a part that will experience pressure on all surfaces and will only be able to move parallel to the center line. The person wants to know if the net force acting against the 45 degree angle will be X in parallel direction of the center line or if it is [cos(45)*X]. They also mention confusion about the force acting on the angled surface and the resulting force.
rush02112
I prepared a drawing to reference what i am trying to explain:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/rush02112/part1.jpg

I will have pressure acting against the all surfaces of this part. Notice this part will only be able to move parallel to the center line of the part. I want to know if the net force acting against the 45 degree angle will be X in parallel direction of the centerline or if it is [cos(45)*X]

I was told by the engineer i work with that the angled surface will be pushed with force X parallel to the centerline. This is why i ask since that doesn't make sense to me. I would think that the force would act on the angled surface perpendicular to which the resulting force would be [(cos(45)*x]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rush02112 said:
I prepared a drawing to reference what i am trying to explain:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/rush02112/part1.jpg

I will have pressure acting against the all surfaces of this part. Notice this part will only be able to move parallel to the center line of the part. I want to know if the net force acting against the 45 degree angle will be X in parallel direction of the centerline or if it is [cos(45)*X]

I was told by the engineer i work with that the angled surface will be pushed with force X parallel to the centerline. This is why i ask since that doesn't make sense to me. I would think that the force would act on the angled surface perpendicular to which the resulting force would be [(cos(45)*x]

If you really mean that you have a pressure acting on all of the surfaces, internal and external, then the net force will be zero and the part will be in equilibrium.

If you mean that you have pressure acting on the external surface only, then the net force is given by the "frontal area" or "projected area" multiplied by the pressure. This area is the area you see if you look at the part from the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im just concerned about the 1 external angled surface at the moment. When this part is assembled in the tool, only a limited number of surfaces will see the force described. I wanted to try and keep the drawing and description as simple as possible

1. What factors affect the net force on an angled surface?

The net force on an angled surface is affected by several factors, including the angle of the surface, the magnitude of the applied force, and the coefficient of friction between the surface and the object.

2. How can the net force on an angled surface be calculated?

The net force on an angled surface can be calculated using the formula Fnet = Fapplied - Ffriction, where Fapplied is the applied force and Ffriction is the force of friction between the surface and the object.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction on an angled surface?

Static friction occurs when the object is at rest on the angled surface, and the force of friction is equal and opposite to the applied force. Kinetic friction occurs when the object is in motion on the angled surface, and the force of friction is proportional to the coefficient of kinetic friction and the normal force.

4. How does the angle of the surface affect the net force?

The angle of the surface affects the net force by changing the direction and magnitude of the normal force. As the angle increases, the normal force decreases, resulting in a smaller net force.

5. How does the coefficient of friction impact the net force on an angled surface?

The coefficient of friction determines the amount of force required to overcome the force of friction between the surface and the object. A higher coefficient of friction results in a greater force required to move the object, leading to a larger net force on the angled surface.