Net force on particle 1 due to particle 2 in vector form?

In summary, the conversation is about a quiz on MasteringPhysics that involves determining the net force on a particle due to another fixed particle with a certain charge and position. The conversation also includes hints and equations related to Coulomb's Law to help find the correct direction of the force.
Corey Bacon

Homework Statement

Hi all,
I have this quiz on MasteringPhysics, but I can't seem to get the right answer.[/B]
Consider two positively charged particles, one of charge q0 (particle 0) fixed at the origin, and another of charge q1 (particle 1) fixed on the y-axis at (0,d1,0). What is the net force F⃗ on particle 0 due to particle 1?
Express your answer (a vector) using any or all of k, q0, q1, d1, i^, j^, and k^.

If someone wouldn't mind giving me some advice, I would much appreciate it.
Thanks

Homework Equations

Columns Law

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\frac{kq_0q_1}{d_1^2}j$$

Physics news on Phys.org
The direction of the force is important too.

Force on q0 by q1 acts in which direction ?

You have write down the part of the answer.
The complete Coulomb law is:
$$\vec{F_{12}}=\frac{kq_1q_2}{r_{12}^2}\vec{e_{12}}$$
for ##\vec{F_{12}}## is the force ##q_1## makes on ##q_2## and ##e_{12}## is the unit vector from ##q_1## toward ##q_2.##
It may help you find out the correct direction of the force.

41643ec5136542b93edf3f6b56fb90f0.png
and putting r(cap) = r(vector)/r
upload_2015-8-4_16-27-0.png

1. What is the formula for calculating the net force on particle 1 due to particle 2 in vector form?

The net force on particle 1 due to particle 2 in vector form can be calculated using the equation Fnet = G * (m1 * m2)/r2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

2. How is the direction of the net force on particle 1 determined in vector form?

The direction of the net force on particle 1 in vector form is determined by the direction of the force vector between the two particles. This force vector is directed towards the other particle and is calculated using the equation F = G * (m1 * m2)/r2.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the net force on particle 1 due to particle 2 in vector form?

The unit of measurement for the net force on particle 1 due to particle 2 in vector form is Newtons (N), as force is a vector quantity and is measured in Newtons.

4. Can the net force on particle 1 due to particle 2 in vector form be negative?

Yes, the net force on particle 1 due to particle 2 in vector form can be negative. This indicates that the net force is acting in the opposite direction of the force vector between the two particles, resulting in a net force that decreases the energy of particle 1.

5. How does the mass and distance between the particles affect the net force on particle 1 in vector form?

The net force on particle 1 in vector form is directly proportional to the masses of the particles and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the masses increase, the net force increases, and as the distance between the particles increases, the net force decreases.